BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yughaber
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I need to figure out how to correctly start a survey research (what factors from a statistics perspective go into planning/are necessary) and if I will need to do any form of power calculation to know how many surveys I will need to administer?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11
Are you essentially trying to choose a sample size?
Yughaber
Quartz | Level 8
yes, I also need to know how many surveys need to be administered.
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11

Well, typically that is done by addressing the variance in your population.  If you have a population in which there is wide variation and in which you could get a large number of different responses, you need a larger sample size/more surveys. If your population is largely the same, a smaller sample size/fewer survey will get the job done statistically.  Yes, it is a "cart before the horse" thing.  They want you to know your population variance to choose your sample size but you don't know the variance without a sample of  the population. 

In the real world, there are also political concerns.   A sample/number of surveys that is perfectly acceptable statistically in terms of producing data sufficient to characterize the population may not be acceptable politically to those receiving the data.  As an example, in a population of 10,000 with almost no variance 100 surveys may be enough to tell you everything you need to know very accurately, but those receiving the data may not be satisfied that only 100 out of 10,000 things were examined.

We don't really know what you are surveying/sampling or anything about your context so it is hard to give specific advice.  In general, sample sizes can be too small, but they can't really be too big (they are just more work).     

Yughaber
Quartz | Level 8
So I would like to survey an event that takes place; if this event is being reported or not. For example, if workers at a company are witnessing a specific error in the workflow and if they are witnessing this, are they reporting it or not? (the survey is going to be anonymous so survey takers can be honest without consequences). From your response I am deducing that I will need at least 10% of my population size as sample size, is that correct?
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11

For something like that, I would collect data from anybody I could and not worry about sample sizes or anything.

The idea is identify the problem in the work flow, fix the problem, and make sure employees feel they have a voice in providing feedback. 

Sounds like you just want an anonymous employee feedback mechanism.   

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation