BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shaz71
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, this is my first post on SAS. I have a split plot design in 5 factors. Factors A, B, and C have 3 levels and are hard to change factors applied to the main plots. Each main plot contains one combination of A,B,C (so 27 main plots in the 3^3 main plot factorial). The sub plot receives a 3^2 factorial in easy to change factors (D, E). Every example I find only discusses how to write the SAS program for Factors A and B. I replicate the entire design twice.

I cant find anything on how to adjust the below SAS code to handle 3 factors in the main plot and two factors in the subplots. 

Simple Split plot in 2 factors:

proc mixed;
   class A B Block;
   model Y = A B A*B;
   random Block A*Block;
run;

Can someone help or point me in the right direction? much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

If I understand your design you can think of it this way.

data split;  
   do block=1,2;
      whole=0;
      do a=1 to 3;
         do b=1 to 3;
            do c=1 to 3;
               whole+1; 
               sub=0;
               do d=1 to 3;
                  do e=1 to 3;
                     sub+1;
                     y = rannor(13456);
                     output;
                     end;
                  end;
               end;
            end;
         end;
      end;
   run;
proc print;
   run;

proc mixed data=split method=type1;
   class block whole sub;
   model y = whole sub whole*sub;
   random block whole*block;
   run;
proc mixed data=split method=type1;
   class block a b c d e;
   model y = a|b|c|d|e;
   random block a*b*c*block;
   run;
shaz71
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the quick reply and for the example. Is the statement 'do block=1,2;' for the two replicates; Did I understand this correctly? I will run this example and try to see if I understand how it is structured. At the moment I dont fully understand the reason for the two PROC MIXED models. Forgive me, I am not all that experienced in SAS (yet)

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

This first one is the analysis in terms of a single treatment whole plot and subplot.  27 whole plots treatments  and 9 subplots.

This is a check for the second MIXED where we partition the whole plots (df=26) into the factorial effects a|b|c.  Same for SUB df=8 and SUB*WHOLE df=208 are partitioned into all the many effects of a|b|c|d|e that remain.

Capture.PNG

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Output from second PROC MIXED.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

shaz71
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much. That makes it really clear. I can see that the SS are in agreement. This makes perfect sense to me. 

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Regarding your question about block=1,2 I assumed that when you said 2 replicates that you meant the experiment was in Randomized Complete Blocks.  If not then I don't believe the model with Random BLOCK and BLOCK*Whole Plot is correct.  Do you have a plot plan or other schematic drawing of the experiment.

shaz71
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Data_null__, here is a study diagram of the experiment. the replication happens at the sub-plot level. It is different than replicating the entire experiment. The study diagram only shows 3 main-plot treatment combinations out of 27.

split-plot_sg.JPG

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

@shaz71 wrote:

Hi Data_null__, here is a study diagram of the experiment. the replication happens at the sub-plot level. It is different than replicating the entire experiment. The study diagram only shows 3 main-plot treatment combinations out of 27.

split-plot_sg.JPG

Looks like there are no complete blocks.  Looks like subplots are blocked (REP 1/2) within whole plots.  I don't think the model with BLOCKS is correct for this design.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation