BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ward77
Calcite | Level 5

I have a researcher who is conducting testing of area-wide treatments (done on large swaths of land, not easy to apply to small areas and not easy to replicate). There are two factors, factor A with three treatment levels (2 trt and 1 control) and factor B with two levels. The physical layout is like a split block (or strip plot), with each level of A applied to one of three vertical strips and each level of B applied to one of two horizontal strips (so each is like a whole plot factor), and the six subplots that are created by the criss-cross design will each have one level of the A*B interaction (so six combined treatment levels, each in one of six subplots). The outcome variable will be counts of insects, so likely Poisson unless the counts are large enough to be approximately normal. The counts will come from monitoring at 30 properties in each of the six subplots, so 180 observations total. I think the 30 properties are subsamples, not replicates, and the entire setup is established only once; there are no replicate blocks.

If the design were repeated in multiple blocks, I think the appropriate code would be

proc glimmix data = dat;
class block A  B;
model response = A B A*B / dist= poisson link = log;
random block block*A block*B;

But with no replicate blocks, I won't have block in the model, and I don't think I can estimate the A*B interaction without the replicates. I do, however, have the subsampling. I'm not sure how to proceed. The best I could think of was to add a random effect for the subplots to account for the subsampling and skip the interaction effect (which is essentially the same as the subplot though).

proc glimmix data = dat;
class subplot A  B;
model response = A B / dist= poisson link = log;
random subplot;

Any suggestions?

Edit: I attached a csv file, with subplot 1-6, factor A with 3 levels, factor B with 2 levels, properties 1-30 in each subplot, and simulated counts as response.

DATA dat;
    INFILE 'ExampleData.csv'
   	DSD MISSOVER PAD firstobs = 2;
	INPUT subplot $ A $ B $ property $ response;
run;
6 REPLIES 6
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't think you have any random effects in this design - you have counts (dependent variable) in six treatment combinations.  The subplot is the experimental unit.  The only thing you might do is build in some heterogeneity of variance with a RANDOM _RESIDUAL_ statement or with a GROUP= option in the LSMEANS, but without any replication of the experimental unit, those two things may not converge.

In the end, your model is response = A B; The interaction serves as the error term.  To accommodate the Poisson, you could use either GLIMMIX or GENMOD.

SteveDenham

ward77
Calcite | Level 5

Steve, thank you for your reply. Don't I need to indicate that I have subsampling from the six EU (30 properties within each subplot)?

jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

Can you send us your data set? 

ward77
Calcite | Level 5

I added a simulated dataset; I don't have actual data yet.

jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

The subplot and the A*B interaction are confounded. So you either model the A*B interaction and do not model any random effects, or model the SUBPLOT as the random effect but no A*B interaction, as what you have already done. I assume the properties are nested within the subplot, correct? If so, I cannot think of other ways to model this data.

ward77
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your response. Yes, the properties are nested within the subplots and the interaction is confounded with subplot.  I wasn't sure if adding the subplot as a random effect was the appropriate thing to do, but I don't know how else I would specify the subsampling. Those measurements should be correlated because they were taken from the same subplot, not 30 replications of the experiment. I'm sure the A*B interaction would be of interest but would it be appropriate to estimate it without true replication? If I estimate the interaction instead of the random effect for subplot, would that be the same as treating those subsamples as true replicates?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation