BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xtc283x
Quartz | Level 8

Not having used the MANOVA/canonical option available from Proc GLM in some time, I'm surprised that my version of SAS only returns a single canonical variate regardless of the number of dependent variables are in the model statement.

Nothing in the documentation suggests that there is an option for requesting or specifying the number of canonical variates.

Is anyone aware of a workaround to this? In other words, how do you get Proc GLM/MANOVA to return more than one canonical variate?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This example has 5 Y variables, and 5 canonical variables.

https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.4&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statu...

Maybe there's something in your data that limits the results to 1 canonical variable.

--
Paige Miller
xtc283x
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks for your response. However, I don't see five variates, I see one which comprises 100% of the variance. If the example used the OUTSTAT= option, you would see what this means.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I see five canonical variables (two of which account for 0% of the variability).

2019-09-17 17_40_24-Window.png

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Adding:

Perhaps this is what you are seeing:

2019-09-17 17_46_29-Window.png

but you have to read what it says. In the comparison of Llanederyn versus other sites, there is effectively only one real canonical vector, in other words comparing Llanederyn to other sites the variation of Y lies effectively in a single dimension.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation