BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Cornelis
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all,

SAS offers PROC VARCOMP where you can use it for calculation of repeatability and reproducibility using variance components.

I have downloaded a paper from Caroli that demonstrates the coefficient of repeatability/reproducibility calculations.

http://www.sascommunity.org/seugi/SEUGI1998/caroli_posters.pdf

The coefficient of reproducibility is defined as the probability for an analytical measure to be produced …

R = Var(Sample) / (Var(Sample) + Var(Error))   .. in %

Var(sample) = variation of sample, var(Error) = variation of error calculated by REML.

So far as I can see, coefficient of reproducibility represents the ratio between variation sample and total variation. A value of R = 93 % has been found in the paper and the questions are:

• What is acceptable criterion of coefficient of reproducibility? > 90 %?
  • Is there any reference that will tell more about coefficient of reproducibility?
  • How do we calculate the reproducibility, i.e. the error “± value” with 95 % confidence limit? Usually, the reproducibility is frequently defined as √2 * 1.96 * SD, where SD = standard deviation. This value is different from the coefficient of reproducibility and what can we do with both calculations?

Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Cornelis.

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
  • What is acceptable criterion of coefficient of reproducibility? > 90 %?

I'm pretty sure this would be user judgment, based upon the understanding of the application being analyzed.

• Is there any reference that will tell more about coefficient of reproducibility?

Have you tried using a search engine?

• How do we calculate the reproducibility, i.e. the error “± value” with 95 % confidence limit? Usually, the reproducibility is frequently defined as √2 * 1.96 * SD, where SD = standard deviation. This value is different from the coefficient of reproducibility and what can we do with both calculations?

While I don't know the answer, it is unlikely that the reproducibility is normally distributed, so I doubt that the standard formulas apply here. But I don't really understand what question you are asking, specifically, you want a ± confidence interval for what quantity?

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation