BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jatinjain
Calcite | Level 5

Why ROC curve is created between sensitivity and 1-specificity? Why it is 1 minus? Why it can't be 1- sensitivity?

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

There is a tradeoff between sensitivity and specificity. 

Sensitivity = 1 - Probability(Type II error)

Specificity = 1 - Probability(Type I error)

Therefore 1 - Specificity  = Probability(Type I error).

It would be fine to graph either Specificity or 1-Specificity (and the same for Sensitivity). The graph would contain the same information. The ROC curve makes one choice and is a standard way to look at the tradeoff.

Jatinjain
Calcite | Level 5

I am sorry but still I am not able to understand. Can you please support the explanation with some kind of plot?

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

As you increase the cutpoint on the predicted probabilities from 0 to 1, the sensitivity decreases and the specificity increases. See the Classification Table (resulting from the CTABLE option) shown at the end of the example titled "Stepwise Logistic Regression and Predicted Values" in the LOGISTIC documentation. By plotting sensitivity against 1-specificity, the point at which sensitivity is zero can be placed at the lower left corner of the plot since 1-specificity is also zero. Similarly, when sensitivity=1, 1-specificity is also 1 so that point can appear in the upper right corner of the plot.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation