BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mydamj
Calcite | Level 5

I am doing multinomial logistic regression with 4 levels of dependent variable. I need to get the relative risk,

I used proc logistic with link = glogit. I got the odds ratio estimates but the estimates match with the relative risk estimates when I ran each group separately as a univariate model using proc genmod link=log.

so was wondering if the odds ratio estimate is the relative risk in the multinomial model(proc logistic with link=glogit).

Kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

They are not the same. See this note which shows how to estimate relative risks in nominal, multinomial models.

Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

They are not the same.

By definition, odds ratio is the ratio of odds of those who are exposed and those who are not exposed to a certain exposure. It is most frequently used in case-control studies, where (in most cases) no follow-up occurs.

Relative risk is the ratio of incidence of a certain event (usually called "endpoint") between those who are exposed and those who are not exposed to a certain exposure. Relative risk is used in cohort studies and experimental studies (e.g. randomized clinical trails, RCTs), where follow-up from the "zero time" (the time you start observing if the endpoint happened in the cohort) is a must.

Odds ratio and relative risk are fundamental and basic concepts in epidemiology. You can refer to a book on epidemiology for further explanation on the two terms.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation