BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GiaLee
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm confused about interpreting the "Solution for fixed effects" and "Type 3 Tests of Fixed Effects." I have searched through lots of SAS papers but still feel confused.

The F-test shows that the interaction term is significant, which means age has a significant effect on score changes. However, I would like to report the coefficients with confidence intervals, so I may need the results from the t-test. However, for each of the interaction terms in the test, they are not significant. How could I explain this? 

Here is my code and output. Any help is appreciated

PROC MIXED DATA = test METHOD = REML COVTEST ;
CLASS id   age_less55     time_dichotomous(ref="0-6") ;
MODEL Score = time_dichotomous    age_less55       time_dichotomous*age_less55/ SOLUTION;
RANDOM INTERCEPT / SUBJECT = id;
repeated time_dichotomous / type=ar(1) sub=id;
store out=MixedModel;
RUN;
proc plm restore=MixedModel; 
effectplot interaction (x=time_dichotomous sliceby=age_less55) / clm connect;
run;

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 08.27.18.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 08.27.22.png

  

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The F-test for an interaction and the t-test for different parts of the interaction do NOT test the same thing. They do not have to agree.

The F-test for an interaction tests to see if the different levels of the interaction are different from one another. The t-tests tests to see if the coefficient for a specific level of an interaction is different than zero.

--
Paige Miller
GiaLee
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for your quick response!
So, that means for the T-test, it estimates whether the estimate is different from zero. In my case, it's whether the estimate is different from the estimate from time_dichotomous (0-6) * age_less55 (No) since time_dichotomous (0-6) is the reference group.

Regarding the F-test, it tests the estimates shown in Table 1 to see whether the estimates for time_dichotomous (0-6) * age_less55 (No), time_dichotomous (6-12) * age_less55 (No), time_dichotomous (12-18) * age_less55 (No), etc., are different from each other.
Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation