BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Liamb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

How to apply stepwise selection with proc hpgenselect to matched data?

Thanks

proc hpgenselect data=tab;
class paired var1 var2 var3 var4 ;
model wbc= var1 var2 var3 var4/ dist = negbin link=log ; 
/*random intercept / subject=paired;*/
selection method=stepwise details=all;

run;
3 REPLIES 3
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Matched data? You mean data where treated units are matched to control units? Or you mean pre- and post- (treatment) measurements?

I am moving this topic to "Statistical Procedures" - board where it belongs.

Koen

Liamb
Obsidian | Level 7

I mean data where treated units are matched to control units

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If you are locked into model selection techniques like stepwise, and you realize that it really isn't suited to mixed models, consider treating the difference between the treated and control subjects for each pair as your response variable. Without knowing your data structure, consider this:

proc hpgenselect data=tab;
class paired var1 var2 var3 var4 ;
model wbc_diff= var1 var2 var3 var4/ dist = negbin link=log ; 
selection method=stepwise details=all;
run;

The key here is in calculating the response variable wbc_diff. There are several ways, but all of them depend on the current structure of the dataset "tab".

You might be happier using method=lasso/choose=aicc, as it provides at lest some protection against type I error inflation due to multiple testing.

SteveDenham

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation