BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yves2017
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to know if within SAS 9.4 Proc Adaptivereg there is a way to fix the value of one knot.  I understand that the strength of the procedure is to identify the knots by itself, but I was wondering if it was possible to let it identify the other knots, but to stipulate the value of one knot.  I know that maxbasis helps in fixing the total number of knots in the final model, but I can't find a way to do what I would like it to do.

Thanks,

Yves2017 

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I suppose you could manually create a two-column piece-wise linear basis at a prespecified knot and use that as input instead of (or perhaps in addition to) the original variable.  I have never tried anything like that. There is no guarantee that adaptive reg will use the effects that you put in. Please let me know if that works.

Yves2017
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Warren,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  I did try that (in addition to the original variables), and the model ended up selecting one of the two manually created basis.  So I finally ended up creating an indicator variable instead with a value of 1 after the knot and a value of 0 before the knot, and using this indicator as a class variable.  It isn't quite what I was looking for, but it is better than not having this knot in.

Thanks again,

Yves 2017

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation