Toni2
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help on this. I have run with OLS this model

y=1.0527x - 0.082

where 

y= IOS (percentages)

x = Bank Rate (percentages)

When i plot y versus x and add the line the model doesn't fit the data due to low R2 and the outliers (please see the graph in the attached file)

However, when I see the back testing (yellow line in the graph in the attached line) the model almost perfectly fits the data which i am struggled to understand or explain

If the model is not correct how can correctly predict the data ?

My first thought is that since the Bank Rate is stable we might have violation of OLS assumptions but again how the back testing is almost correct?

Thanks,

Antonis

3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The R2 looks bad because you don't have enough contrast in your data (in the second half of the time series), which makes the error (the unexplained part of the signal) look large compared to the part of the signal explained by your model. You should be able to make a better assessment of the fit if you replot the second half of the time series and rescale the y axis.

PG
Toni2
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi, thank you for your response. I am going to have a look on this.

gcjfernandez
SAS Employee
Your data is autocorrelated (timeseries) with interruption (significant time shifts). This violate OLS assumptions. Treat this as a time series problem. Use PROC ARIMA or PROC ESM from SAS ETS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation