BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
toyodn01
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I have a question about proc phreg with multiple groups and violated PH ratio. 

I would like to compare the re-intervention on patients who had a procedure. There are three procedures (Group=0,1,2) and the outcome is reintervention (0 ,1).

Comparison of interest is 1) Group 1 vs 0 and 2) Group 1 vs 2.  

Proportional hazard ratio is violated, so I would like to include interaction term to evaluate hazard ratio at each time point (5, 10, 15 years after procedure). 

I created two dichotomous variables to express Group. Group 0: A=0, B=0, Group 1: A=1, B=0, Group 2: A=0, B=1.

I think contrast statement should be used, but I am not quite sure what interaction term is included. 

proc phreg data=X;
model Time_to_reintervention*reintervention(0)=A B interaction/rl ;

interaction=??;
contrast 'time=5' A ? B ? interaction ? /
estimate=exp e;
contrast 'time=10' A ? B ? interaction ? /
estimate=exp e;
contrast 'time=15' A ? B ? interaction ? /
estimate=exp e;

run;

I would greatly appreciate if if you could help...

Thank you very much.

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I am going to pull a Ksharp trick here and ask someone else who knows quite a bit about PHREG.  So calling @FreelanceReinh 

SteveDenham

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Thanks, Steve. Sadly, I have never dealt with the case of non-proportional hazards. By a quick web search I found two conference papers on this particular subject:

1. Extensions of Cox Model for Non-Proportional Hazards Purpose 
  2. The Cox Hazard Model for Claims Data 

[1] suggests an "interaction of particular covariate with a function of time variable" (which might be what the OP is trying to implement) or, alternatively, a "stratification model."

[2] uses a Bayesian approach.

toyodn01
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you both very much for your help! I really appreciate it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation