BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
uzma03505621
Obsidian | Level 7

For my research purpose, I am using a sample of 7000 patients. These patients are divided into 3 categories:

Cat1 ( Diabetes+ High BP)

Cat2 ( DIabetes+ Low BP)

Cat3 ( Diabetes+ No BP) 

My research objective is to get the mean total healthcare costs in these groups for comparing the differences in their costs.

I analyzed the cost data and I found it to be highly skewed with 24 patients with 0 total costs. After doing the Box-cox test, I found that I should use a generalized linear model with gamma distribution and log link function.

My understanding is that I can get rid of the zero costs and use the the positive costs for  PROC GENMOD. 

MY dependent variable (total costs is continuous variable) and 8 of my Independent variables are categorical ( nominal) but two independent variables are continuous, so is it appropriate to use GENMOD ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

You can fit a gamma model in GENMOD. However, zero is not a valid value for that distribution and observations with zero response will be ignored. A possibly better alternative for data that has a mass at zero but is otherwise positive is the Tweedie distribution. You can try modeling all of your data, including the zero response observations, by fitting the model in GENMOD using the DIST=TWEEDIE option. There is more information on the Tweedie model available in the Details section of the GENMOD documentation.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

You can fit a gamma model in GENMOD. However, zero is not a valid value for that distribution and observations with zero response will be ignored. A possibly better alternative for data that has a mass at zero but is otherwise positive is the Tweedie distribution. You can try modeling all of your data, including the zero response observations, by fitting the model in GENMOD using the DIST=TWEEDIE option. There is more information on the Tweedie model available in the Details section of the GENMOD documentation.

ballardw
Super User

Just being a smart alec but doesn't "Cat3 ( Diabetes+ No BP) " actually mean Dead (no blood pressure)? Do you mean "no recorded BP" or similar?

uzma03505621
Obsidian | Level 7
Sorry for the confusion. By BP I mean Hypertension. So, the No BP group represents patients with Diabetes only.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation