BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
davis
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to determine whether Proc Adaptivereg is a reasonable analytic tool to estimate the probability of behavior of a loan borrower (e.g., prepay, default, remaining current) in a future period. The estimation sample is reasonably large (i.e., sample size > 3 million) and is an unbalanced panel data set where the number of rows (i.e., monthly loan performance data) exceed the number of columns (i.e., explanatory factors). In addition, practitioner literature suggests a multinomial logistic approach to model this non-linear relationship.

Lastly, I am using SAS EG - 7.1, SAS/Base - 9.04, and SAS/STAT - 14.2.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think @StatsMan misspoke. You can use the DIST= option on the MODEL statement in PROC ADAPTIVEREG to fit discrete responses such as binomial, negative binomial, and Poisson. For an example that analyzes a binary response, see "Nonparametric regression for binary response data in SAS." 

ADAPTIVEREG is a nonparametric procedure. For fitting parametric models, you can use the procedures (LOGISTIC or HPLOGISTIC) that StatsMan mentions, or use PROC HPGENSELECT. For a multinomial response, PROC HPGENSELECT support logit and generalized logit links, depending on whether the response if ordinal or nominal. Y

davis
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks.

One more question, if I may.

I was under the impression the outcome variable in proc adaptivereg could also be categorical.

Am I misinformed?

See the screen shot below (Source: Kuhfeld and Cai. Introducing the New ADAPTIVEREG Procedure for Adaptive Regression. SAS Global Forum 2013, Paper 457-2013, p. 11)

[cid:image001.png@01D48AF0.37869CE0]

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

A categorical variable can be ordinal or nominal. So I just used different words.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation