BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
obrien
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I need to establish the minimal detectable change for an outcome to distinguish true change from test-retest variability. The data has 30 eyes of 20 participants with 3 scans on the same day. A grid of 25 squares (boxes) is applied to each of the 3 scans and the outcome is obtained in each box for a total of 30×3×25 = 2250 observations. In the literature, minimal detectable change is defined as

MDC95 = sqrt(2)×1.96×SEM

where SEM is standard error of measurement and is the same as within subject (residual) standard deviation.

I am using the following SAS code

proc mixed data = dat method=REML;
   class StudyID Eye box;
   model y = / solution ddfm=kr;
   random intercept / subject=StudyID;
   random intercept / subject=Eye(StudyID);
   random intercept / subject=box(Eye StudyID);
run;

output.jpg

I think I have approached this correctly but I would definitely appreciate confirmation.

Thanks,

Robert

1 REPLY 1
awesome_opossum
Obsidian | Level 7

It's been awhile since I've done a model like this.  You have the first step correct, or at least workable.  You need add predictors to your y = model, and it may also be necessary to add random slopes for your "boxes", depending on model fit. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation