BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
VRaboy
Calcite | Level 5

I have two data sets of field trials of experimental maize inbreds and hybrids. One trial used a completely randomized design where all the reps for all the treatments were randomized within the nursery. However, for the second field trial the reps were simply planted in numerical order by treatment, ie. no randomization. I want to do statistical analyses to test if there is any significant effect of my experimental treatments. I have used GLM using the mixed model approach and know that that is valid for the first trial where the reps were randomized. But what about the second trial where there was no randomization? 

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

One thing you can do is to add a variable into the model indicating the non-random order/sequence and see if that is significant. If it is not significant, then maybe the usual statistical tests are valid (or approximately valid) but I would still be very scrupulous checking residual plots for patterns and clusters and any other odd looking things in the residual plots.

--
Paige Miller
VRaboy
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your prompt reply. That sounds like an excellent approach. I
will work on this in the next couple of weeks (so far I have two
approaches) and after some thought and tests see what looks right.
Victor Raboy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation