BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear community,

I would really like to know if the way I wrote my lsmestimates is correct.  I'm combining the data of 2 experiments in a weighted analysis. I have 6 treatments applied at rate 1, 2, 3 and 4. So I want to compare trt 2 vs trt 3 at rate 1, and so on. In this case my dependent variable is the fresh shoot weight of watermelons.

Proc glimmix data=one;
class Exp Blk Trt Rate;
model Fshoot_weight= Trt|Rate/dist=lognormal ddfm=kr;
random intercept/subject=Blk;
weight Fshoot_weight_wt;
lsmestimate Trt*Rate 'Trt 2 vs 3 @ rate=1' 1  11  -11  1  1  1,
'Trt 2 vs 4 @ rate=1' 1  11  1  -11  1  1,
'Trt 2 vs 5 @ rate=1' 1  11  1  1  -11  1/adjust=t elsm ;
run;

I would greatly appreciate if you could check if these estimates statements make sense.

Thanks a lot!

Caroline

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatsMan
SAS Super FREQ

Look at the output table from the ELSM option (should be labelled "Least Squared Means Estimate Coefficients"). That table shows which lsmeans you are comparing in each contrast. The 1 and -1 in your contrast should line up with the lsmeans you want to compare.

Further help with CONTRAST and ESTIMATE statements can be found here 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StatsMan
SAS Super FREQ

The test formed by the LSMESTIMATE statement is in the form KLB, where K is the matrix formed by the rows of your LSMESTIMATE coefficients. B is the parameter estimate vector that you can see by adding the SOLUTION option to the MODEL statement. Looking at the results of the ELSM option and the SOLUTION option shows you how your LSMESTIMATE coefficients line up with the elements of the parameter estimates vector and will tell you if you have the correct set of coefficients for your test.

It would be unusual to have 1's on the levels of the coefficients that you are not interested in. We usually see 0's there. Also unusual to see 11 and -11 on the levels you want to compare. We usually see 1 and -1 there. But that might have to do with the weighting you have for this data. 

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much for your answer! 

Since I have 2 factors (trt and rate) how do I write the estimates to compare trt 2 vs trt 3 at rate 1?

If I write them like this then I'm comparing trt 2 with 3, but what about the rate (I have 6 treatments in total and 4 rates)?

lsmestimate Trt*Rate     'Trt 2 vs 3 @ rate=1'     0  1  -1  0  0  0,

Thank you!

StatsMan
SAS Super FREQ

Look at the output table from the ELSM option (should be labelled "Least Squared Means Estimate Coefficients"). That table shows which lsmeans you are comparing in each contrast. The 1 and -1 in your contrast should line up with the lsmeans you want to compare.

Further help with CONTRAST and ESTIMATE statements can be found here 

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi StatsMan,

Thank you so much for your help, now I got it. I think it should look like this: 

Proc glimmix data=one;
class Exp Blk Trt Rate;
model Fshoot_weight= Trt|Rate/dist=lognormal ddfm=kr solution;
random intercept/subject=Blk;
weight Fshoot_weight_wt;

lsmestimate Trt*Rate 'Trt 2 vs 3 @ rate=1' 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0,
'Trt 2 vs 4 @ rate=1' 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0,
'Trt 2 vs 5 @ rate=1'0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0/adjust=t elsm

Least Squares Means Estimate Coefficients
Effect Trt RateA Row1 Row2 Row3
Trt*RateA 1 1      
Trt*RateA 1 2      
Trt*RateA 1 3      
Trt*RateA 1 4      
Trt*RateA 2 1 1 1 1
Trt*RateA 2 2      
Trt*RateA 2 3      
Trt*RateA 2 4      
Trt*RateA 3 1 -1    
Trt*RateA 3 2      
Trt*RateA 3 3      
Trt*RateA 3 4      
Trt*RateA 4 1   -1  
Trt*RateA 4 2      
Trt*RateA 4 3      
Trt*RateA 4 4      
Trt*RateA 5 1     -1
Trt*RateA 5 2      
Trt*RateA 5 3      
Trt*RateA 5 4      
Trt*RateA 6 1      
Trt*RateA 6 2      
Trt*RateA 6 3      
Trt*RateA 6 4    
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

One thing that would have made this clearer to me would have been to use some spaces in your various LSMESTIMATE statements. For instance:

lsmestimate Trt*Rate 'Trt 2 vs 3 @ rate=1'  0 0 0 0  1 0 0 0  -1 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0,
'Trt 2 vs 4 @ rate=1'  0 0 0 0  1 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  -1 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0,
'Trt 2 vs 5 @ rate=1'  0 0 0 0  1 0 0 0  0 0 0 0   0 0 0 0  -1 0 0 0  0 0 0 0/adjust=t elsm

This method is my preference - at least two spaces before the first coefficient, at least two spaces between levels, and some effort at aligning things vertically.

Or use the non-positional format.

SteveDenham

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Very good idea Steve, thank you so much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation