BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Traian
Fluorite | Level 6

I performed PCA with a varimax rotation on my dataset and obtained this.

PCA_A.png

Now i need to group the variables based on their correlations to these factors. My question is how to properly accomplish this?

My approach:

After looking into this i found that you want to keep the values >0.32 or <-0.32 that show strong correlation with only 1 factor. Therefore i'd have to scratch all variables that show up on multiple factors and work with the rest. I applied a fuzz=.32 to my PROC FACTOR function to easier see them.

PCA_B.png

Where does the 0.32 come from? I have read multiple articles on how to interpret these results and while most said values should be over 0.32 i have seen examples like 0.4 as well.

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Here's a paper https://hosted.jalt.org/test/PDF/Brown31.pdf that references the original paper that put forth the ±0.32 limit, but I don't have access to the original paper.

--
Paige Miller
Traian
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for the article, i continued to read the next chapters to find out how to deal with the complex values(the ones with >0.32 for more than 1 factor). Unless i missed something, the author suggested proceeding with the higher value and ignoring the other one also higher than 0.32, or simply ignoring the variable.
In my case, all these variables are a type of product and i have to calculate the probability that a customer will buy the products that belong to each factor value. Looking at ia1_17, the values for Factor1 and Factor6 are way too close. I am having a hard time thinking i have to ignore this variable since i will only be left with 2 values remaining for Factor 6 which is way too small.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation