BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, 

I was wondering if someone can help me interpret the interaction variables presented in the output below. 

If we pretend that the interaction term in the Type 3 table is significant, my understanding is that:

- interaction between being a boy (vs. Girl) and being Depressed (vs. Not depressed) - significant

- interaction between being other (vs. Girl) and being depressed (vs. not depressed) - significant

The values for girl is not provided as it is the reference group that I have chosen. 

Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 2.59.50 PM.png

  

18 REPLIES 18
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

When there is interaction in the model, you interpret the effect of each variable at each level of the other variable it interacts with. To do that, use the SLICE statement. For example:

slice sex*depression/ sliceby=depression;

or

slice sex*depression/ sliceby=sex;

varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7

Here, I used spliceby = sex

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 3.16.19 PM.png

So from the Analysis of GEE Parameter Estimates Tables, I can identify the significance of whether or not interaction exists. And I can use this Simple Differences Table to identify significance between sex groups that have depression. Is that correct?

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
That appears to be the results of a statement like
slice sex*depression / sliceby=depression diff;
But, yes, that table lets you compare the sex levels when depression=yes.
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes! My apologies! I did: slice sex*depression / sliceby(depression) diff oddsratio CL ;
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7

You mentioned "When there is interaction in the model, you interpret the effect of each variable at each level of the other variable it interacts with. To do that, use the SLICE statement. "

Just to confirm, if we didn't assume the interaction effect in the Type 3 table was significant and went by actually what we see in the output (i.e., the interaction term in the Type 3 table was not significant.), then I would not be able to interpret the effect of each variable at each level of the other variable it interacts with. Is this correct?

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
If there is no interaction then that means that the effect of each variable is the same at all levels of the other variable. So, that greatly simplifies the situation. Each variable just has an overall effect.
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7
Great! Thank you so much for clarifying that!
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7

Are there any resources that you think would be helpful reading regarding interactions between categorical variables (esp when the outcome variable is also categorical)?

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See this note that discusses models with interaction in general and testing hypotheses in such models. In particular, Example 3 illustrates and discusses an interaction model in a binary response model.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In addition to the good advice from @StatDave you should also take advantage of the excellent plots available in PROC GENMOD via the EFFECTPLOT statement to help you interpret the interaction. There are interaction plots, SLICEFIT plots, and SLICEBY plots.

--
Paige Miller
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7

When I specify "effectplot interaction (x=depression)" where Y = smoking status into my code, this is what I see. Is this what you meant?

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 3.42.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 3.36.07 PM.png

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Yes, that provides a graphical depiction of the comparison results from your SLICE statement.
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Yes, those plots look exactly like the ones I used to illustrate an interaction years ago when I taught an introductory stats class.

SteveDenham

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation