BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dongsunk
Calcite | Level 5

I want a model that derives a random intercept from Proc mixed.

However, since the results are derived using SAS, coefficients are derived from Random Effects.

Is this the random intercept at level 2 I want?

Also, how to interpret this coefficient means subtracting the group mean from the overall mean?

dongsunk_4-1688302997459.png

3 REPLIES 3
jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

The Solution for Random Effects table shows the "deviation" for each subject from the overall mean. So you would need to add the fixed effect solution (intercept) to these deviations to get the subject-specific intercept estimate.

The following usage note provides some examples on this topic --

http://support.sas.com/kb/37109

Hope this helps,

Jill

dongsunk
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for the very helpful answer.

For further questions in this regard,
Does adding the intercept for Solution for Fixed Effects to the coefficient for Solution for Random Effects give an estimate of the subject-specific intercept?
If not, do I need to add a constant term to the model coding of Random Effects?
jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

I am not sure I understand your question. Sorry.

Maybe you can provide your PROC MIXED program and relevant output? That might help me understand your question better.

Thanks,

Jill

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation