BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marcel
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SAS Experts,

I am running a cox proportional hazards model. I am running PHREG because I want to test if there is a significant interaction between TTO and a continuous covariate.

My TTO has two levels (0 and 1)
Let the continuous covariate be "B"

I run the following:

proc phreg data = data;
class TTO;
model survivaltime*censored(0) = TTO B TTO*B  / ties=Efron;
id id;
run;

PREG_TABLE_SAS_COMMUNITIES.jpg

As can be seen in the table above, the interaction TTO*B is not significant. Of course, some people are of the opinion that I should just drop the interaction because it is not significant and be done with it.

However, I read a recommendation that when the interaction is not significant, then "interpret your model using marginal effects in the same way as if the interaction were significant".   How do you this? Or better yet, how do you implement a marginal effects model in sas PHREG? Can anyone direct me to a good source with examples?

Best regards,
Marcel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi @marcel ,

I would interpret that article as saying - look at the main effects least squares means (if both of the variables in the interaction are categorical).

The simple way of getting marginal means is to drop the interaction.

However, what you have here is a bit trickier, as B is a continuous covariate.  The test of the interaction is whether the beta's for the two levels of TTO are identical.  Since you have no evidence that they are different, the parsimonious model would drop out the interaction.  If you keep the interaction (because a: it is significant or b; you have additional knowledge that the slopes are not the same from prior work), then when you compare lsmeans, you should do it at 3 levels of B, a low level, the mean level and a high level.  See Milliken and Johnson's Analysis of Messy Data, vol. 3: Analysis of Covariance for examples.

SteveDenham

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi @marcel ,

I would interpret that article as saying - look at the main effects least squares means (if both of the variables in the interaction are categorical).

The simple way of getting marginal means is to drop the interaction.

However, what you have here is a bit trickier, as B is a continuous covariate.  The test of the interaction is whether the beta's for the two levels of TTO are identical.  Since you have no evidence that they are different, the parsimonious model would drop out the interaction.  If you keep the interaction (because a: it is significant or b; you have additional knowledge that the slopes are not the same from prior work), then when you compare lsmeans, you should do it at 3 levels of B, a low level, the mean level and a high level.  See Milliken and Johnson's Analysis of Messy Data, vol. 3: Analysis of Covariance for examples.

SteveDenham

marcel
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Steve. That is a point of start for me. I will check the reference you recommend.

Regards,

Marcel

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation