BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, everyone

I am practicing COX regression. I see from the SAS support webpage that, after PROC PHREG, we can plot cumulative hazard graphs with the 95% confidence limits. However, I would like to plot the cumulative hazard graphs with the 95% confidence interval. I did not find the option from the webpage to do so.

As you know, 95%CL is much wider than 95%CI. I see some research publications have cumulative hazard graphs with 95%CI.

I would like to hear your ideas, thanks.

Partial code:

proc phreg data = DSP2_raw  plots(overlay = bygroup) = (survival cumhaz);
class v1(ref='0')
v2(ref='0')
v3(ref='0')
v4(ref='0')
v5(ref='0');
model TimeEvent*Event(0) = v1
v2
v3
v4
v5
v6
v7
vn / rl = wald;
baseline covariates = predict;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

@TomHsiung wrote:

As you know, 95%CL is much wider than 95%CI.

????

Confidence limits are the numbers at the upper and lower end of a confidence interval.
Are you referring to prediction band?
A prediction interval is less certain (hence wider) than a confidence interval. That's because a prediction interval predicts an individual number, whereas a confidence interval is for the mean.

Koen

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

@TomHsiung wrote:

As you know, 95%CL is much wider than 95%CI.

????

Confidence limits are the numbers at the upper and lower end of a confidence interval.
Are you referring to prediction band?
A prediction interval is less certain (hence wider) than a confidence interval. That's because a prediction interval predicts an individual number, whereas a confidence interval is for the mean.

Koen

TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

@sbxkoenk Hi, pal. Thank you for your reply.

Oh! I thought the CL option in plots(overlay cl) was the prediction interval. Probably, I was misled by chatGPT, I think. I remember chatGPT told me CL (confidence limits) and CI (confidence intervals) were different. At the same time, my data showed a very wide band, which led me to the wrong conclusion.

Thank you for your clarification. Appreciated!

TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

Update:

When plots option, overlay & cl, are used together, no CL bands. It shows CL bands when plots option has only cl.

proc phreg data = cox_raw plots(overlay cl) = cumhaz;

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

@TomHsiung wrote:

Update:

When plots option, overlay & cl, are used together, no CL bands. It shows CL bands when plots option has only cl.

That's not my experience.

I have just submitted :

ods graphics on;
proc phreg data=Myeloma plots(overlay cl)=cumhaz;
   model Time*VStatus(0)=LogBUN HGB;
   baseline covariates=Inrisks out=Pred1 survival=_all_/rowid=Id;
run;

... and it properly shows everything asked for.

Koen

TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

@sbxkoenk Much appreciate for your additional information. I can see that you do researches about INR, haha.

Below is my codes. I don't know what is wrong. Another thing is that I switched from SAS 9.4 to SAS Viya (update: I have tested these code lines on SAS OnDemand, and no CL bands there on cumhaz graph).

class genderC(ref = '0') AF(ref = '0') Hypertension(ref = '0') CHF(ref = '0') akiC(ref = '0')
ddiC(ref = '0') indicationC(ref = '0') CYP2C9code(ref = '0') VKORC1Code(ref = '0') Warfarin_History(ref = '0');
model timeToFirstInrAttain*firstInrAttain(0) = bsa ageY genderC AF Hypertension CHF 
serumalb akiC ddiC indicationC CYP2C9code VKORC1code Warfarin_History / rl=wald;
baseline covariates = predict_cox;
run;

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

Also on Viya it's working for me (I am using Viya 4 Stable 2024.06).

What SAS Viya version are you using?

Submit:

%PUT &=sysvlong4;

... to find out. See LOG-screen for the answer.

I cannot spot an error in your code.
You can also contact SAS Technical Support (TS) for this. You can do so via the SAS Customer Service Portal (customer portal).
https://service.sas.com/csm

Koen

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation