BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Could you please help me understand how can I detect and remove outliers? I tried to read the relevant documents but I find difficult to understand.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See the "Outlier detection" item in the list of Frequently Asked-for Statistics (see the Important Links section). 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

The first thing is for you to define clearly to yourself what an "outlier" will be. Typical rules are something like x units of difference from a mean (or median) value. Units of difference might be standard deviations, multiples of the Interquartile range or something else or perhaps the smallest and/or largest x percentage of values.

Graphing data is often one way to see if you have values extreme enough that you think they should be eliminated.

Once you can do that definition then providing code to do such depends on the type of rule and data involved.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Could you please tell me how to graph the data to find the outliers and how
can I eliminate it?
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

There's quite a nice introduction to outliers in this paper which not only covers what they are and how they arise but gives some simple code examples to help you find them -> https://www.lexjansen.com/nesug/nesug10/ad/ad07.pdf

Reeza
Super User
Have you taken the free SAS e-course on Statistics with SAS? If not, it's free and available via e-learning.
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See the "Outlier detection" item in the list of Frequently Asked-for Statistics (see the Important Links section). 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation