BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GiaLee
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm running a mixed model and using multiple imputation to handle missing covariates.

I used the `lsmeans test/pdiff adjust=Tukey` statement to compare each group.

However, after `PROC MIANALYZE`, it only pools the raw p-values.

I searched various forums and noticed that `PROC MIANALYZE` cannot generate pooled adjusted p-values. I also saw suggestions to use `PROC MULTTEST`, but it doesn't support the Tukey-Kramer adjustment.

Does anyone know how I could obtain the pooled adjusted p-value? Or how could I calculate the pooled adjusted p-value using the pooled raw p-value? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

I assume your input data set in this case contains the p-values for each of the comparisons from Proc MIANALYZE.  If that is the case, then, yes, this is what I had in mind.

As far as adjusted CL, I don't really have a good suggestion since MULTTEST only deals with p-values.  The only obvious idea that comes to mind would be to do a Bonferroni-type adjustment by adjusting the value of the ALPHA= option in Proc MIANALYZE such that it is alpha/m where m is the number of comparisons.  There may be others that you could manually program in a data step using the output from MIANALYZE, but that would take some programming on your part.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I make no promises that this will work, but consider the adjusted p values to be random draws from a uniform distribution, bounded above by the largest observed adjusted p value for a fixed pair being compared and below by the smallest observed p value for that pair. That gives a standard deviation across the imputations of SD = (max - min)/sqrt(12), from which you could calculate STDERR = SD/sqrt(N), where N is the number of imputations. Put the adjusted p values and associated standard errors into a data set of estimates and stderr of estimates. Then this might give interesting results:

proc mianalyze data=<your data with adj p values and approx std errors edf=<residual degrees of freedom?>;
   modeleffects adj_p;
   stderr se_ad_pj;
run;

You might have to put out a call for @SAS_Rob or some of the other posters who use MI and MIANALYZE a lot more than me. I was just trying to come up with a standard error estimate for the p values. I know that the possible range for the p values is [0, 1], so it may be that a more correct estimate for the standard error would be 1/(sqrt(12)*sqrt(N)) for every observation. However if that is the case than the value across all of the adjusted p values for a given pair of means is simply the arithmetic mean, as each observation would have an identical weight.

SteveDenham

GiaLee
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your answer! This method looks good, but it is a little bit complex for me since I'm not very experienced with statistical rationale. I was thinking of changing the method to Sidak (more powerful than Bonferroni) so I could use Proc Multtest. Thank you again!

Gia

SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

I suggest that you combine the LsMeans and standard errors from MIXED in MIANALYZE.  You could then save the p-values from the combined estimates to a SAS data set and feed them into MULTTEST.  You would have to use a different adjustment method than Tukey like Bonferroni since MULTTEST will not compute Tukey p-values from a data set of raw p-values.

GiaLee
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Rob.

I changed the method to adjust by Sidak.

I have obtained estimates, StdErr, DF, tValue, Probt, lower, and Upper from the Proc MIANALYZE.

I found relative code from the PROC MULTTEST documentation,  and adjusted the code to fit my data.

Q1. May I know if the below method aligns with what you mentioned? Input the raw p-value and adjust them directly?

Q2. How could I obtain the adjusted Lower and adjusted Upper then?

Thank you!

data test;
   input Comparison $ Raw_P @@;
   datalines;
12vs18  0.0097     
12vs24 0.09
12vs32 0.01
12vs40 0.0097
12vs6 0.09
18vs24 0.01
18vs32 0.008
18vs40 0.2
18vs6 0.01
24vs32 0.009
24vs40 0.08
24vs6 0.07
32vs40 0.008
32vs6 0.09
40vs6 0.01 ;
proc multtest inpvalues=test sidak;
run;

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I still don't see how this is going to give you a "pooled" p value. It should give you 15 adjusted p values. I might have misinterpreted the request but I thought you were looking for a single pooled p value.

SteveDenham

GiaLee
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for your reply. I may not have described the question clearly. I used LSmeans in the Proc Mixed to compare between each class, and each comparison has a p-value. And I would like to get the pooled p-value for each of these comparisons.
I found this discussion very useful, as it helped us obtain the pooled p-value and CI. However, it cannot generate the pooled adjusted p-value directly)
https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/combine-the-LSMEANS-and-differences-in-LSMEANS...
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

I assume your input data set in this case contains the p-values for each of the comparisons from Proc MIANALYZE.  If that is the case, then, yes, this is what I had in mind.

As far as adjusted CL, I don't really have a good suggestion since MULTTEST only deals with p-values.  The only obvious idea that comes to mind would be to do a Bonferroni-type adjustment by adjusting the value of the ALPHA= option in Proc MIANALYZE such that it is alpha/m where m is the number of comparisons.  There may be others that you could manually program in a data step using the output from MIANALYZE, but that would take some programming on your part.

Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am also currently studying multiple comparison procedures. I did not know that PROC MULTTEST can plug-in raw P-values before. That is a very useful piece of information.

@SAS_Rob wrote:

You would have to use a different adjustment method than Tukey like Bonferroni since MULTTEST will not compute Tukey p-values from a data set of raw p-values.

Bonferroni methods are conservative. Are there any macros capable of plugging in raw P-values to implement Tukey's method?

Thanks!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation