BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RosieSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

What I'm trying to do is to compare means after treatment p<0.05. First I saved p value through PROC SQL, then according to the p value to decide if needing to group the means or not. However, when p<.0001, the macro function %lsmeansOutput(P) always runs without LINES option as p>=0.05. When there is an exact p value<0.05, for example p=0.025, the macro function works correctly to show the mean grouping results.

Is there anyone can help me figure out the reason? 

proc sql ; ** obtain p-value of trt;
	select ProbF as intP into :intP 
	from Fixedp	where Effect='Treatment';
run;

%macro lsmeansOutput (P);
  %if &P<0.05 %then %do;
    proc plm restore=&response.out;
	ods exclude diffplot meanplot classlevels;
        lsmeans treatment/lines;
    run;
  %end;
  %else %do;
	ods exclude diffplot meanplot classlevels;
        lsmeans treatment;
    run;    
  %end;    
%mend lsmeansOutput;

I also posted the problem in Programming forum, but not sure where is more appropriate, programming problem or statistical analysis problem. Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RosieSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for all your inputs, without your helps, I couldn't figure it out. Here it the code to solve my problem.

Using %lsmeansOutput(&P) instead of %lsmeansOutput(P) in when calling this macro function after format P to FORMAT 12.5.

select ProbF format 12.5 as P into :P 
  run;

%macro lsmeansOutput(P);
   %if %sysevalf(&P<.05) %then %do;
      lsmeans treatment/lines adjust=Tukey;
    run;
	%put Yes branch;
   %end;
  %else %do;
      lsmeans treatment;
    run;    
	%put No branch;
  %end;    
%mend lsmeansOutput;
  %lsmeansOutput(&P);

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Astounding
PROC Star

Macro language does not treat decimal points as numeric.  You would need to change this line:

%if &P<0.05 %then %do;

Instead, code it as:

%if %sysevalf(&P<0.05) %then %do;
RosieSAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for your reply! I just tried, however, I still only got means when p<.0001.
ballardw
Super User

You need to show exactly how you are calling your macro LsmeansOutput. As in the code.

Since P is a parameter passed to the macro how it is passed is important.

And since you are using the same name for the data set  &Response.out are you actually using a different data set? Not showing where macro values come from is a common problem with debugging macros.

One of the common tools is to set Options Mprint Mlogic Symbolgen; before running the macro to see the code generated, macro logic (the %if ) resolution and the values of macro variables as built, such as &Response.out.

Nicole_Fox
Obsidian | Level 7

You have the proc sql code that creates a variable called intP, but the code below references macro variable P.  There is no value set in macro variable P.  Is it your intention to pass the value from proc sql to the next step below? 

To start troubleshooting your macro, you do want to turn on the SAS options mentioned by another user.  You can also use put statements to write messages to the log. I suspect that you are passing P<.0001 as a character value which then never meets this condition. The top argument in the sample code below is a brute force workaround adding P<.0001 as a possible if-then condition.

%macro lsmeansOutput(p);
  %if %sysevalf(&p = <.0001) %then %do;
      %put p=&p;
  %end; 
  %else %if %sysevalf(&p<0.05) %then %do;
      %put p=&p; 
  %end;
  %else %do;
      %put met else condition=&p; 
  %end;
%mend; 
%lsmeansOutput(p=.01); 
%lsmeansOutput(p=.05); 
%lsmeansOutput(p=.0001);  
%lsmeansOutput(p=<.0001); 

RosieSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for all your inputs, without your helps, I couldn't figure it out. Here it the code to solve my problem.

Using %lsmeansOutput(&P) instead of %lsmeansOutput(P) in when calling this macro function after format P to FORMAT 12.5.

select ProbF format 12.5 as P into :P 
  run;

%macro lsmeansOutput(P);
   %if %sysevalf(&P<.05) %then %do;
      lsmeans treatment/lines adjust=Tukey;
    run;
	%put Yes branch;
   %end;
  %else %do;
      lsmeans treatment;
    run;    
	%put No branch;
  %end;    
%mend lsmeansOutput;
  %lsmeansOutput(&P);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation