BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AndersS
Pyrite | Level 9

Some time ago I asked a question about "Confidence Intervals for Quantiles".
Now I have found a very good and recent (2017) publication - Available for students and researcher in electronic form. For free.

Statistical Intervals A Guide for Practitioners and Researchers, Second Edition  Meeker,  Hahn,  Escobar

ISBN 9780471687177 (cloth) | ISBN 9781118595169 (epub) -2017 - 630 pages

Lots and lots of useful information.

Some useful pages for "Confidence Intervals for Quantiles" :

5.2 Distribution-Free Confidence Intervals and One-Sided Confidence Bounds for a Quantile – page 78 (file page 109)

Epilogue - page 395 (file page 419)

Appendix A - Notation and Acronyms - page 395 (file page 419)

Quantile Function – page 426 (file page 449)

Appendix G - Distribution-Free Intervals Based on Order Statistics – page 497 (file page 516)

On the web site:

https://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&bcsId=10767&itemId=0471687170

there is more information, like a list of suitable software package.

I hope that this updated information will be useful.

(Disclaimer - I am not really a statistician. More SAS programmer and problem solver)
/Br AndersS (Anders Skollermo)

Anders Sköllermo (Skollermo in English)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for sharing. I read this book while I was looking for formulae of the analogue of standard errors of medians and the first and third quantiles in order to pool my results after multiple imputation in PROC MIANALYZE but found that all of the three statistics don't have a "standard error" as long as their confidence intervals are computed in a distribution-free manner described in this book. In all, it helped me a lot, so it also has my recommendation.

I would like to recommend two monographs on confidence intervals to our friends: Confidence Intervals for Discrete Data in Clinical Research and Confidence Intervals for Proportions and Related Measures of Effect Size. I hope they can help data analysts in this Community.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Thanks for update.

I think you are referring to this (solved!) topic:

How to estimate Confidence intervals?
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/How-to-estimate-Confidence-intervals/m-p/898485

Koen

AndersS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi! Yes I marked the subject as SOLVED earlier. Then later on I found a much better documentation. So I wanted to tell people about it. /Br AndersS

AndersS
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi! YES - This documentation and the discussion there is really good.

/Br Anders
Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for sharing. I read this book while I was looking for formulae of the analogue of standard errors of medians and the first and third quantiles in order to pool my results after multiple imputation in PROC MIANALYZE but found that all of the three statistics don't have a "standard error" as long as their confidence intervals are computed in a distribution-free manner described in this book. In all, it helped me a lot, so it also has my recommendation.

I would like to recommend two monographs on confidence intervals to our friends: Confidence Intervals for Discrete Data in Clinical Research and Confidence Intervals for Proportions and Related Measures of Effect Size. I hope they can help data analysts in this Community.

AndersS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi!   Note that there is also a Facbook page about confidenc intervals:

https://www.facebook.com/confidenceintervals

Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thank you for sharing!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation