BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sabataged
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

I'm having trouble figuring out how to model my data. I am trying to determine gender difference in childhood PTSD at 3 different timepoints. 

I have the following:

Predictor variables:  Fixed effects such as gender, neighborhood, age, and race. 

Outcome variable: PTSD Burden/SCORE

• PTSD score is determined by tallying up the score for 17 items on a questionnaire.  For each question, there are 4 ordinal choices ranging from 0-3.  The answers to these questions add up to a total of 51 possible points. This scale can be considered as interval data. 

I was modeling PTSD Burden as a continuous outcome using PROC MIXED, but after some reflection and research, I realized this might not the best way to model this data. For example, I was getting an intercept of 21.56, but it is impossible to get a non-integer PTSD score. I cannot find an integer option with PROC MIXED.  As far as I know, only PROC OPTMODEL can give integer solutions.  Do I need to transform my data in any way?  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Personally, I don't have a problem saying that the average PTSD score (at time=0?) is 21.56. It's an average. We routinely hear that the average American family has 2.5 kids and 1.2 pets. Averages don't have to be integers.

Moving this topic to the Statistic Community for greater visibility.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Personally, I don't have a problem saying that the average PTSD score (at time=0?) is 21.56. It's an average. We routinely hear that the average American family has 2.5 kids and 1.2 pets. Averages don't have to be integers.

Moving this topic to the Statistic Community for greater visibility.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation