BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
normanbg
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to run the following code for the SEQDESIGN procedure:

proc seqdesign altref=0.20
plots=boundary(hscale=samplesize)
plots=power
PSS(cref=0 0.5 1.0 1.5)
boundaryscale=pvalue;
OneSidedOBrienFleming: design nstages=2
method=obf
alt=upper stop=both
alpha=0.05 beta=0.20;
samplesize model(ceiladjdesign=include)
=onesamplefreq(nullprop=0.75 prop=0.95 ref=prop)
inputnobs(sample=one N=38);
ods output AdjustedBoundary=Bnd_Prop;
run;

but I can't figure out how to get the power (1-beta) at each stage for both the null hypothesis and the alternative (ie, the power to reject H0 when it is indeed false and the power to reject H1 when H1 is indeed false). It must be there somewhere, I just can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Norman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

This might be clearer if you use the STOPPROB option instead. See the description of the values in the resulting table at the end of the "Details: Table Output" section of the SEQDESIGN documentation. You will see that the probability of stopping the trial for acceptance under the alternative (CRef=1) at stage 1 is .09 and .2 at stage 2. The probability of rejecting is .31 at stage 1 and .8 at stage 2. The overall probability of stopping the trial early at stage 1 is .4. 

For multi-stage designs, once you start collecting data and doing an interim analysis, you might also be interested in conditional and predictive power, which are both available with options in PROC SEQTEST. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Try the ERRSPEND option in the PROC statement 

normanbg
Obsidian | Level 7

I tried. This is what I got. I couldn't save the screen shot in an acceptable format so I put 3 copies of it in a zip file in the hope that you will be able to read one of them.

Are these 4  entries the 4 power values I am looking for? If so, which is what?

Thank you for trying to help.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

For your two-stage design, the beta values at each stage is as shown: .09 and .2. For info on this, see the "Details: Error Spending Methods" section in the PROC SEQDESIGN documentation.

normanbg
Obsidian | Level 7

I still don't get it. It's not surprising that the power (to reject a false H0) at stage 2 is 80%, because that was part of the initial design. But a power at stage 1 of 91% when the sample size there is half that at stage 2—I think not. What am I missing?

Thank you for your perseverance.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

This might be clearer if you use the STOPPROB option instead. See the description of the values in the resulting table at the end of the "Details: Table Output" section of the SEQDESIGN documentation. You will see that the probability of stopping the trial for acceptance under the alternative (CRef=1) at stage 1 is .09 and .2 at stage 2. The probability of rejecting is .31 at stage 1 and .8 at stage 2. The overall probability of stopping the trial early at stage 1 is .4. 

For multi-stage designs, once you start collecting data and doing an interim analysis, you might also be interested in conditional and predictive power, which are both available with options in PROC SEQTEST. 

normanbg
Obsidian | Level 7

Bingo! Just what I was looking for. Thank you, thank you very much.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation