BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello there, hope you are great and healthy.

I have three treatments ()A, b and C) and tested variables (VAR1 , VAR2 and VAR3) with categorical answers (scores 1 to 5) in different days (day 1, 2 and 3).

They suggested to make an analyze with the delta. But seems like that is possible to do it just for two treatments.

I would like to confirm that, and if is possible with three treatments, how can I do that??

Thank you!

Best regards and take care, Aska.

4 REPLIES 4
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Probably the easiest way would be to calculate the delta as day2 - day1 and day3-day2 for each of the variables, and then do a multivariate ANOVA using PROC GLM.

A better way that helps to avoid regression to the mean would be to use generalized estimating equation approach (PROC GEE) or a conditional repeated measures approach (PROC GLIMMIX), where the response variables have a multinomial distribution with a cumulative logit link (either procedure).  Selection of a covariance structure in the two approaches will deal with the dependency/correlation in time rather than the delta method.

SteveDenham

aska_ujita
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, thank you for your hlp.

Is there a way to do this day2 -day1 and day3-day2 automatically?

I have a column called "DAY". Because there is a lot of variables to test, would be great if has a way to do it faster.

Thank you!!

Kind regards, Aska.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I haven't done this analysis since mixed modeling became the standard for repeated measures analysis, but PROC GLM has a PROFILE option that will do exactly this within the REPEATED statement.  It will take some data shaping as you will have to get your response values into a wide format.  Here is an example:

data dogs;
   input Drug $12. Depleted $ Histamine0 Histamine1
         Histamine3 Histamine5;
   LogHistamine0=log(Histamine0);
   LogHistamine1=log(Histamine1);
   LogHistamine3=log(Histamine3);
   LogHistamine5=log(Histamine5);
   datalines;
Morphine      N  .04  .20  .10  .08
Morphine      N  .02  .06  .02  .02
Morphine      N  .07 1.40  .48  .24
Morphine      N  .17  .57  .35  .24
Morphine      Y  .10  .09  .13  .14
Morphine      Y  .12  .11  .10   .
Morphine      Y  .07  .07  .06  .07
Morphine      Y  .05  .07  .06  .07
Trimethaphan  N  .03  .62  .31  .22
Trimethaphan  N  .03 1.05  .73  .60
Trimethaphan  N  .07  .83 1.07  .80
Trimethaphan  N  .09 3.13 2.06 1.23
Trimethaphan  Y  .10  .09  .09  .08
Trimethaphan  Y  .08  .09  .09  .10
Trimethaphan  Y  .13  .10  .12  .12
Trimethaphan  Y  .06  .05  .05  .05
;

proc glm;
   class Drug Depleted;
   model LogHistamine0--LogHistamine5 =
         Drug Depleted Drug*Depleted / nouni;
   repeated Time 4 (0 1 3 5) profile / summary printe;
run;

But I would advise against doing this, and approach the analysis as a repeated measures analysis using one of the mixed model procedures.

SteveDenham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation