BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Atulya212
Fluorite | Level 6
How can I determine the relative contribution(R- Square) of predictors in multiple regression models?
Dear all,
do you have any suggestions about how to estimate the relative contribution of different predictors in a multiple regression model of the type:
y = b0 + b1x1 + b2x2 + ... + bnxn I have already finalized the model now I want to see the what is the R square of each of the predictors so I have an idea about the relative contribution of each of the predictors in the overall model?
4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

R-squared is defined for the entire model. R-squared is not defined for an individual predictor variable in a model.

--
Paige Miller
Atulya212
Fluorite | Level 6

Yeah, you are correct but I need to find a way to estimate the individual contribution of each of the independent variables in the overall model R square. 

Being able to report such a decomposition of R square will be very useful to assess the explanatory power of individual regressors or groups of regressors. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Unless you are modeling data collected in an orthogonal experiment, there is no unique decomposition of the contribution of each x-variable in a regression-like model. This is because your x-variables are correlated with one another, and it is impossible both logically and mathematically to determine what the contribution to R-squared of each x-variable is.

Perhaps you mean (but didn't say) you want to find out which variables are the strongest predictors (in other words which variables have the steepest slopes)?

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See this note which discusses statistics for assessing variable importance, including the RsquareV macro to estimate the partial R-square for each effect in the model. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation