BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
iaatoloye
Fluorite | Level 6

When a gamma distribution is specified in SAS, does SAS perform a log transformation to achieve and satisfy the data normality assumption? I thought using a gamma distribution violates normal assumptions. @Rick_SAS 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The normality assumption does not apply to a generalized linear model using a distribution other than the normal distribution. See this note.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The normality assumption does not apply to a generalized linear model using a distribution other than the normal distribution. See this note.

iaatoloye
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks. I am trying to edit this statement and thinking of knocking out the second part. 

I would like to clarify if this is a valid statement or not: " A gamma distribution was used for all data analyses, for which a log-transformation was conducted by SAS to achieve data normality."

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
If you fit a model using the gamma distribution for the response in the GENMOD, GLIMMIX, or other modeling procedure, then you can probably drop the phrase after the comma.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation