BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
braam
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

I would like to implement a univariate diff-in-diff test presumably using proc ttest. Any procedure would be fine with me as long as I can do so.

The below dataset includes four groups by two class variables: TYPE (SUV and Sedan) and ORIGIN (Asia and Europe).

Let me put it this way arithmetically:

Mean of mpg for Asia and Sedan: a

Mean of mpg for Asia and SUV: b

Mean of mpg for Europe and Sedan: c

Mean of mpg for Europe and SUV: d

The t-stat I want for is (a-b) - (c-d).

This way, I can see whether the mean difference in mpg between SUV and Sedan is different between Asia and Europe (i.e., diff-in-diff).

Ideally, I would like to implement this using the dataset generated in the below SAS code (i.e., the one with three variables, mpg_city, origin, type). Hope that somebody can help me.

data temp;
	set sashelp.cars;
	keep mpg_city origin type; 
	where origin in ("Asia", "Europe") and Type in ("Sedan" "SUV");
	run;

proc sort data= temp;
	by origin type mpg_city; run;

proc print data= temp; run; *172;
proc tabulate data= temp;
	class origin type;
	var mpg_city;
	table origin, type*mpg_city*( n mean)  ; run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @braam,

According to Usage Note 61830: Estimating the difference in differences of means you can use PROC GENMOD:

proc genmod data=temp;
class origin(ref='Europe') type(ref='SUV');
model mpg_city = origin type origin*type;
run;

Result (excerpt) with point estimate, standard error, confidence interval and significance test of the requested difference in differences:

Analysis Of Maximum Likelihood Parameter Estimates

Standard     Wald 95% Confidence          Wald
Parameter                         DF    Estimate       Error           Limits           Chi-Square    Pr > ChiSq

Origin*Type    Asia      Sedan     1      0.5076      1.6221     -2.6716      3.6868          0.10        0.7543

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @braam,

According to Usage Note 61830: Estimating the difference in differences of means you can use PROC GENMOD:

proc genmod data=temp;
class origin(ref='Europe') type(ref='SUV');
model mpg_city = origin type origin*type;
run;

Result (excerpt) with point estimate, standard error, confidence interval and significance test of the requested difference in differences:

Analysis Of Maximum Likelihood Parameter Estimates

Standard     Wald 95% Confidence          Wald
Parameter                         DF    Estimate       Error           Limits           Chi-Square    Pr > ChiSq

Origin*Type    Asia      Sedan     1      0.5076      1.6221     -2.6716      3.6868          0.10        0.7543

braam
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks! it looks like running a regression without control variables.
Let me have a look at it and give it a try. Just one question. Would this method be applied to both continuous/dummy variables?
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I think in principle this method could also be applied to continuous independent variables (or one continuous and one discrete variable), but the interpretation would be different: You would consider the change in the dependent variable per unit increase of the continuous variable rather than compare means of subgroups.

braam
Quartz | Level 8
I was asking about the dependent variable, not independent variables. Sorry that I brought up some confusion.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Ah, I see. Yes, the method can also be applied to models with a discrete dependent variable such as logistic regression models: see section "Generalized linear models with non-identity link" in Usage Note 61830.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation