BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
davis
Fluorite | Level 6

Good morning,

I am interested in exploring out-of-sample testing using SAS EG proc adaptivereg (SAS EG, 7.15 (7.100.5.5850, 64-bit) and the partition statement.  However, I am running into a little difficulty.

My input data set is a "skinny" and unbalanced panel (i.e., time series, cross section), and the partition statement seems to operate on an observation, or row, as opposed to a group.  Applying the partition statement to the panel will ignore, it seems, the time dimension, which needs to be preserved.

If my understanding is clear, any thoughts on how to get the partition statement to operate on a group (e.g., unique member id) as opposed to an observation or on any other ways to potentially navigate this obstacle?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MichaelL_SAS
SAS Employee

I assume you are using the FRACTION option in the PARTITION statement. If so, you might try using ROLEVAR= option instead. This option allows you to specify a variable in input data whose values are used to assign observations to the training, test, or validation roles. Using this option would add the step of you first creating the role variable to satisfy the conditions you deem appropriate (ensuring observations from the same group are assigned to the same role, ect), but once created I think would enable you to do what you want. 

Quick edit based on seeing Dave's response. I should clarify that my comment deals only with how to get a bit more control over how the partition is created, not if the analysis is properly accounting for repeated measures. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

I don't think ADAPTIVEREG can take into account the clustered nature of your data as you describe it. For such data, you might want to consider using procedures like GEE or GLIMMIX which can accommodate clustered data. In GLIMMIX, you can use the EFFECT statement to incorporate splines into the model if you need flexibility similar to (but not the same as) ADAPTIVEREG.

MichaelL_SAS
SAS Employee

I assume you are using the FRACTION option in the PARTITION statement. If so, you might try using ROLEVAR= option instead. This option allows you to specify a variable in input data whose values are used to assign observations to the training, test, or validation roles. Using this option would add the step of you first creating the role variable to satisfy the conditions you deem appropriate (ensuring observations from the same group are assigned to the same role, ect), but once created I think would enable you to do what you want. 

Quick edit based on seeing Dave's response. I should clarify that my comment deals only with how to get a bit more control over how the partition is created, not if the analysis is properly accounting for repeated measures. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation