BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
greylondyn
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS Studio and I'm trying to compare an unstratified logistic regression model to three models created after stratifying by one variable to see if there is a significant difference. I can visually look at the models and see that there is a difference, but is there a way to run a comparison to see if the difference is statistically significant?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In any regression, a term in the model such as

stratum

will provide a test to see if the intercepts are different in the different strata, while a term such as

stratum * x

will provide a test to see if the slopes are different in the different strata.

--
Paige Miller
Ksharp
Super User

After getting predicted Y, could try  K-S test for each model and

see which model's k-s value is higher .

proc npar1way data=final_total_score plots=edfplot edf ;
class good_bad;
var total_score;
run;

Or you could compare AUC of these two model.

@Rick_SAS  wrote a couple of blog about AUC .

data all
 set A B;
run;
proc logistic data=all ;
model pred_y=score_a score_b/ nofit;
roc 'Model A' pred=score_a;
roc 'Model B' pred=score_b;
run;
JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

It depends on what you mean by "stratified model". If you mean that you run your model with or without a effect modifier on some covariate of interest, then you can indeed test if the effect modifier is significant (in terms of p-value). It is just to test if there is an interaction effect.

But, If stratified model means that you run a conditional logistic regression model by using the strata-statement, then I don't see any way to test if the variable used in the strata-statement change the result significant (in terms of p-value). You will have to judge if you find the strata variable has changed the result so much that your find the change "significant" (but then done use the word significant as it indicate you use a p-value). Also, It will most often not make sense to remove the variable in the strata statement, as it is given by the design of the model that the strata-variable has to be there (as in forexample a 1:k sampled case control study) .

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

I don't think these are models that you compare and i'm not aware of a valid way to compare them. If the data was collected in strata resulting in observations that are correlated, then the analysis should reflect that structure. A conditional model is one way for the analysis to deal with that sampling scheme. An unconditional model would ignore the correlation and provide incorrect standard errors.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation