BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Giampaolo
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS users,

By default Proc Causalmed assigns a normal distribution to the mediator variable and an identity link. Is it possible to customize these parameters? The actual distribution of my mediator variable is closer to a gamma distribution. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

PROC CAUSALMED assumes a normal distribution and the identity link function for a continuous mediator, and a binary distribution and the logit link function for a binary mediator.  Unfortunately there is no way currently to change this default behavior.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

PROC CAUSALMED assumes a normal distribution and the identity link function for a continuous mediator, and a binary distribution and the logit link function for a binary mediator.  Unfortunately there is no way currently to change this default behavior.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If your mediator looks like it may have a gamma distribution, consider a close approximation such as a lognormal.  To do this, take the natural log of the mediator variable - this will have a normal distribution of residuals in the log space and has a default identity link in the other PROCs that address alternatives to the normal distribution.  It then becomes even more important that you consider how you report the mediating effect.

SteveDenham

Giampaolo
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your suggestion!

Then how should I interpret the output given that the outcome is binary?

In summary I would have:

a binomial distribution and logit link for the outcome.

a normal distribution and identity link for a log transformed mediator.

The output would be given in Odds Ratios or excess relative risk, for  the direct,  indirect and total effects.

Can I still express  mediation per unit change of the mediator, rather than its log transformed value? If yes how?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation