BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
smsm15
Calcite | Level 5

hello,

taking the mean of a variable that is 5 level 0,25,50,75,100 for specific populations.

In this population there are only two people with the exposure so n=2 out of 500 and therefore only they can have a mean variable (variable I taking the mean of is amount of outcome per exposure). using proc means clm I am getting such a large confidence interval for this population while the rest are fine. does this statistically make sense due to how small the population is? it just seems outrageous.

CI: (-292.66, 342.66)

mean= 25, obs1=0, obs=50. standard dev=35.36 standard error =25 

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I get those answers too!

data have;
    x=0; output;
    x=50; output;
run;

proc means data=have n mean std stderr clm;
    var x;
run;

PaigeMiller_0-1699912819457.png

According to Wikipedia and many (all?) textbooks, the formula for a confidence interval for the mean is

PaigeMiller_1-1699912918001.png

so I leave it up to you to plug the numbers in, plus determine the value of c from appropriate t-distribution tables, and compute for yourself if those numbers are correct, and why (or why not). If you think it is wrong, show us your calculations.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Small sample => wide confidence limit to be confident. So two values of 0 and 50 will generate that result.

The  large limits are coming from the t-score portion of the calculation which is pretty large for that sample size.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

As @ballardw says, it comes from the t distribution part. I get 12.71 for a two-tailed t value of 0.05. With a standard error of 25, then a half interval is 12.71*25 =317.25, so your confidence bounds around a mean of 25 would look like -292.25 to 342.25. A more precise t value will yield what you are seeing.

SteveDenham

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation