BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Merdock
Quartz | Level 8

Hello! I was wondering if anybody has any experience using the cdc-source-code.sas program (available here: https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/growthcharts/resources/sas.htm) for calculating BMI percentiles and Z-scores? I have a dataset with weights, heights, gender, birth dates and examination dates for patients aged 2-18 years old and am trying to calculate gender-specific BMI-for-height-age percentile and Z-score.

So my main questions are:

1. can the cdc-source-code.sas be used to calculate gender-specific BMI-for-height-age percentiles/Z-scores? If yes, how?

2. Is the gender-specific BMI-for-height-age the same as gender-specific BMI-for-age? My impression is that they're not the same and in that case, I don't think the cdc program can be used (at least not without any modifications) to calculate the gender-specific BMI-for-height-age percentiles/Z-scores but then again, I don't have much experience with this so I could be very wrong.

3 REPLIES 3
Merdock
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for the reference! Unfortunately, it does not provide any information regarding how to obtain sex-specific BMI for-height-age. I know how to calculate gender-specific BMI-for-age but I need gender-specific BMI-for-height-age as this has been proven to be a more accurate measure of adiposity and weight gain for the pediatric population with kidney disease. However, all the online calculators, articles, references, macros I could find all use BMI-for-age, not BMI for-height-age so I don't really know where to find the information I need.

JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ
I see your point. Maybe @gcjfernandez_gmail_com has some information to share.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation