BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
heretolearn
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello all,

I have a question about choosing the correct statistical test for my analysis.

I am trying to compare treatment characteristics between two groups. While normally I would use a chi square test for that analysis, some of the individuals in each group received more than one treatment type. Below I have included an example:

id     treatment     group

1      A                  positive

1      B                  positive

2      A                  negative

3      C                  positive

4      B                  negative

4      C                  negative

Both id 1 and 4 received more than one treatment type. So I am not sure if I can do chi square analysis comparing treatment between the two groups when some individuals have more than one treatment value.

Any suggestions for the proper test that I should use?

4 REPLIES 4
Ksharp
Super User

It is longitude data ,Why not using PROC GLIMMIX ?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What hypothesis do you want to test?

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

It is not clear from your description what is to be compared with respect to what. From the data sample, I have to guess that the positive/negative variable, GROUP, is the response and that you want to see if the treatments differ on the probability of being positive (or equivalently, of being negative). If so, then you can compare the treatments and take into account the correlation among repeated measurements on a person (ID) by fitting either a Generalized Estimating Equations (GEE) model using PROC GEE or GENMOD, or a random effects model using PROC GLIMMIX, or a conditional logistic model using PROC LOGISTIC. For example, the following statements fit a GEE model to compare the treatments on the binary response:

proc gee;
class ID treatment;
model group(event="positive") = treatment / dist=bin;
repeated subject=ID / type=exch;
run;
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Is the order of treatments fixed? For instance, if a patient starts on A and is negative, is the next treatment always B?  Does the same apply if B is negative, would the next treatment be C?  If this is the case, you have a repeated measures design where you likely have structural zeroes (for instance, patient 4, which started with B, so that there is structural zero for that patient for treatment A).  If this all describes what you have, look at the first few examples in the PROC GEE documentation, and see whether the alternating logistic regression method might work for you.

SteveDenham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation