BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lady8506
Quartz | Level 8

I have a question. While performing logistic regression, I noticed that the odds ratio of an event happening can sometimes be confounded by other variables, which means certain variables may not actually be predictors of an event happening. I would like to know if there is a statistical procedure I can use that solves this problem.

Here is an example of what I mean: Say we know that women over 50 are more likely to choose breast conserving therapy. But in the logistic regression model, it also says that if you are Dr. Smith's patient, you are more likely to choose breast conserving therapy vs. being Dr. Jones's patient. However, a frequency table reveals that all of Dr. Smith's patients are over the age of 50, so it's not necessarily true that being Dr. Smith's patient means you are more likely to choose breast conserving therapy if Dr. Smith has little to no patients under the age of 50. 

So is there a statistical method to figure out what the true predictors of an event happening are?

1 REPLY 1
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

I think that if you were to include all of your candidate predictors of the response in the model and use the LASSO model selection method (available in PROC HPGENSELECT), you would probably find that the parameters for redundant variables, like your physician variable, would be shrunken to zero and therefore excluded from the final model.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation