BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ScottNLong
Fluorite | Level 6

Can someone tell me if SAS has a procedure to calculate two-sided tolerance intervals, based on sampling, for a normal distribution that contains the central p-content of that distribution for some given confidence?  

These are different than the two-sided tolerance intervals that merely contain p-content of the distribution.

D. B. Owen (1964) "Control of Percentages in Both Tails of the Normal Distribution," Technometrics is a good reference, as is the Krishnamoorthy and Mathew (2009) text book Statistical Tolerance Regions (see Chapter 2, and Table B3 in appendix.)

Appreciate any help!

4 REPLIES 4
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

It's easiest with the CAPABILITY procedure in SAS/QC (QC = Quality Control).

SAS/QC User's Guide
The CAPABILITY Procedure
Methods for Computing Statistical Intervals

Search on that page with key-word "tolerance"!

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/qcug/qcug_capability_sect210.htm

For a thorough discussion of tolerance intervals and tolerance limits, see Krishnamoorthy and Mathew (2009).

Koen

ScottNLong
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks! However, your link and its particular Krishnmoorthy reference (sec. 2.3.1) identify the procedure for calculating the 2-sided tolerance interval that contains p-content without requiring it to be centered on the underlying normal distribution.  I would like to find a procedure for the one in sec. 2.3.2 which requires the p-content to be centered on the underlying distribution.

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Is this post helping you out?

Question Related to Tolerance Intervals
Posted 04-30-2016 01:44 PM (2787 views)
https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Question-Related-to-Tolerance-Intervals/m-p/26...

Koen

ScottNLong
Fluorite | Level 6

That post doesn't help me, but I did leave a suggestion for tackling the problem posted.  I'm guessing SAS doesn't perform the calculation I'm looking for.  I hope I'm wrong!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation