BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

I need help determining the correct way to compare changes in rates of two medical procedures between two groups before and after an intervention. So the data look something like this:

Before                    After

Proc1    Proc2        Proc1    Proc2

Group #1     21609    51815      4793       7191

Group #2     11935    67953      3808       10829

The question I want to answer is this: Is there a difference between the two groups in the change of the ratio of Proc1 to Proc2 before and after the intervention?

I was thinking of something like this (code adapted from an on-line example):

data YesNo;

length Group $ 11 ;

input Group $ Period $ Proc1 Total;

Response="Proc1"; Count=Proc1 ; output;

Response="Proc2"; Count=Total-Proc1 ; output;

datalines;

Group1 Before 21069 72884

Group1 After 4793 11984

Group2 Before 11935 79528

Group2 After 3808 14637

;

proc print noobs;

var Group Period Response Count;

run;

ods graphics on;

proc freq data =YesNo order=data;

weight Count;

tables Period*Group*response / relrisk cmh chisq plots=all;

exact eqor;

run;

ods graphics off;

Is this the correct approach? I'm not sure how to interpret the output. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drb4511
Obsidian | Level 7
The Breslow-Day (from the CMH option) tells you that the rate ratios for your strata are the same (p>.05) or different (p<.05). It is only comparing the rate ratios (or odds ratios) for group*response for each level of period.

If you are trying to see within group differences (ex: is there a significant change in the rate for group 1), you'd need to do something different, maybe even just plotting the rates with a linear reg.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

Does anyone know what eaxctly the Breslow-Day statistic is telling me when you run the code I posted? Is that just an overall comparison of the two groups or does it compare the before/after rates for each group?

Thanks in advance!

drb4511
Obsidian | Level 7
The Breslow-Day (from the CMH option) tells you that the rate ratios for your strata are the same (p>.05) or different (p<.05). It is only comparing the rate ratios (or odds ratios) for group*response for each level of period.

If you are trying to see within group differences (ex: is there a significant change in the rate for group 1), you'd need to do something different, maybe even just plotting the rates with a linear reg.
BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

drb4511

Thanks for the reply. I think that answers my question.

Brian

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation