BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tejeshwar
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I am using SAS Web Report Studio 4.2 and want to publish a SAS report on the Information Delivery Portal. On the portal, I add a collection portlet and then add the report in the content.

Once I open the report, the SAS report is opened up through the Web report studio and it allows the ability to edit the report as well. However, here what my problem is. It allows the user from the IDP to save the edited template and the changes are saved on the origional report.

I wouldnt want anyone to overwrite the origional report, however at the same time being able to edit the report from the IDP. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tej
5 REPLIES 5
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
If I understand correctly what you are doing, you should be able to deny WriteMetadata permission to the original report.
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
Changing metadata security on individual objects could prove to be a cumbersome security management strategy. What BIC_USER_3 points to is that there is a problem with your security levels, and changing them will address this. However take a look at your overall security structure so that this same issue is fixed across the board.

1. Consider assigning all the portal users to the User Manager Role 'Web Report Viewer'. This way they have no edit capabilities to any reports.

2. If users need the ability to create their own reports in Web Report Studio. Organize the SAS Folder structure in such a way where a ReadMetadata is Granted and WriteMetadata is denied. And Grant/Deny these permissions to groups of users. (So create a group in User Manager for 'Portal Report Viewers' and one for the authors 'Portal Report Editors' - and assign Deny WriteMetadata to the viewer community.)

The security administration documentation (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisecag/61133/HTML/default/titlepage.htm) provides details on how to accomplish this and plenty of reading on how to secure other areas of your system.

~ Angela
tejeshwar
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your inputs. I will just explain in detail the objective that I am planning to accomplish through this.

I have a report which reports out Acquisition Metrics and its right now published through the IDP and accessed across the organization with 100 different users.

Now, I have rolled out standard templates through the report, however these standard templates at times are manipulated across different dimensions depending upon the role of the user and how they want to look at the numbers.

The issue is that every morning when they come to office they have to spend some time manipulating the template.

I was hoping that a user is able to save a template without modifying an origional report. So, a modified(updated) template should only be available to the user who modified it. The OLAP cube viewer is able to do accomplish this, but I havent able to figure out the same through the IDP.

Angela, I will go through the security structure in detail and get back, but just could you let me know if you think that addressing this through creating groups and assigning roles(ReportUser/Report Writer) will help me accomplish this particular objective.

Thanks,
Tej
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
Tej,

If they are Web Report Report Creators, they can save the report to their personal folder. (Still lock them out of the standard template/report - so they dont wipe out the standard view - using Deny WriteMetadata.)

However from IDP, they would need a personal collection portlet to link directly to their report. As this is now saved outside of the standard template location the first link you supplied would just take them back to the original view.

There are probably some more customized solutions you could build to do this - such as a custom portlet - that would search for reports with certain names in their personal folder and link to them directly.

~ Angela
tejeshwar
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Angela.

This answers my question.

Tej

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation