BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a limitation regarding the size of an OLAP cube?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
TSBruce
SAS Employee

There is no technical limit to the size of an OLAP cube.  However, there may be environmental limits (disk space, memory, etc.) as well as practical considerations (does a cube really need 25 years of history, or is 5 years enough)?  I would also ensure that large cubes are tuned properly with all of the proper aggregations to maximize performance.

milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for this clarification! Smiley Happy

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

There are very few limitations for SAS OLAP Cubes.

The only ones I come to think of is number of herarchies (128) and measures (1024).

In my opinion they are no real life limitations. I can't see an end user chsoing between thousands of measeures and hundreds of hierarchies...

/Linus

Data never sleeps
milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for your responses. But have you encountered an out of memory error when viewing reports with an OLAP data source? Which configurations can I check? Is there a limit if the environment is 32-bit versus 64-bit Windows?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Maybe you could track this to SAS support.

Some monitoring is available in the OLAP Server Monitor plug-in for SAS Management Console.

Also check the IP admin docs:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biasag/62612/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p13sasapplicserver0...

Data never sleeps
cbasah
Calcite | Level 5

It happened to me once and increasing the JVM's initial memory helps. Trying increasing the -Xmx and -Xms parameters when launching the OLAP server.

boschy
Fluorite | Level 6

We recently got out-of-memory errors when opening cubes after upgrading from SAS V9.2 M1 to M3 and from Web Report Studio V4.2 to V4.3.

Turns out that we were unknowingly selecting ALL fields in the cube for display in Web Report Studio via the Select Data panel, instead of selecting say 2 or 3 dimensions and a few measures.

And so selecting all fields caused the OLAP server to generate a CROSSJOIN for all dimensions (say 25 of them) and all measures. With 250,000 rows, this blew the Java VM memory allocation every time, regardless of how much memory was allocated.

RobertH
Calcite | Level 5

128 dimensions is a limit for financial services :smileycry:

http://goo.gl/sMDSD

• max measures / cube = 1024
  • max dimensions / cube = 128
  • max levels / cube = 256
  • max levels / hierarchy = 19
  • max properties / level = 256
  • max members / hierarchy = 2^32
  • max unique values / cube = 16.777.215 (hotfix required)
DLanningham
SAS Employee

Also, see the topic "SAS OLAP Cube Size Specifications" in the SAS OLAP Server User's Guide. 

This topic discusses size specifications for dimensions, hierarchies, levels, measures and properties.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 7 in conversation