BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Nithin
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

We do have SAS WRS 4.2 M2 with SAS 9.2 in our environment. We are just converting our reports to SAS EBI. We have particular set of report where prompts have 100+ values. Entering each values one by one and clicking add is time consuming job. I am expecting WRS to take inputs for prompts from a delimited file (or) string.

I did check with SAS tech support and got reply WRS does not have this feature for now. Do any of you guys have work around/solution for this scenario?

-Nithin
8 REPLIES 8
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
Create the prompted filter in the Information Map.
Save the list into a sas data set.
On the 'Prompt Type and Values' screen for a new prompt select 'Get Values' and select the sas data set.

~ Angela
Nithin
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Angela,

Thanks for the quick response. I was trying similar solution to this. I had below 2 challenges in this way:

1. User creating these reports would not have any idea about SAS datasets. (Although they can use SAS add in to modify datasets in excel)

2. This feature would be used by 5-10 users and each having different set of 100+ values.

-Nithin
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
From Add-in they could upload tables using 'Copy to SAS Server'.

Another option altogether is to allow users to choose from a dynamic list (proc sql select distinct) by editing the data item in the information map, moving to 'Value-Generation Method', and choosing 'User selects values from a dynamic list'.

Then from WRS all the values existing in the data table would be available for users to pull in for their prompt. At least this would save on typing time.

~ Angela
Nithin
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your suggesstions. I will try both the ways and let you know if I am successful.

-Nithin
Nithin
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Angela,

I tried approach of creating SAS data sets and using it as input to prompts. I am not successful. Here is summary of what I did.

1. Create SAS Dataset with list of values for huge filter.

2. Register the SAS Dataset as table in library. The library is assigned to sas application of WRS. The table is given read metadata permission.

3. Create prompt in Information map with "Method of polulating prompt" selected as "User selects values from a dynamic list", Under DataSource options specify "Specify a data source" and point to table registered through management console.

When I tried to use this filter in WRS, I get error message as below in WRS logs:

2011-03-03 16:54:18,188 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '1' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN [ad13c8161727db9e:-74c6b0bf:12e749b56e6:4126sasdemo] com.sas.prompts.valueprovider.dynamic.workspace.PromptColumnValueProvider - Cannot resolve data type
2011-03-03 16:54:44,289 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '1' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] ERROR [] com.sas.prompts.valueprovider.dynamic.DataProviderUtil - Unable to find physical table
com.sas.storage.exception.ServerConnectionException: Unable to find physical table.

Am I doing any wrong here?

-Nithin
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
Were you successful when testing the prompt and map from within Information Map Studio? Want to rule out any problems there first.

My guess is that this also will not work - as the likely issue is simply that RM access is not enough. Grant R access as well and retest. Here is a summary of the different permissions:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisecag/61133/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002652167.htm

~ Angela
Nithin
Calcite | Level 5
Yes, I did try using this prompt in Information Map Studio as well. I do get error as below:

"Unable to establish a connection: Error occurred assigning libref:User does not have approriate authorization level for library."

I am validating library permissions to check if I have missed any. Will keep posted.

-Nithin
TSBruce
SAS Employee
Nithin-

Please be aware that using the dynamic generation of these values does require a query to be run against the data to populate the distinct values. If you are using large data, this may take a bit of time to return. This may be acceptable in your situation. If not, you may explore using an external table as Angela mentions and possibly build that table periodically as it makes sense with your data.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation