BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,
I have read a great tutorial PDF by Kevin Davidson and Minh Duong on using dynamic and cascading prompts in EG 4.2. I now wonder if cascading prompts also work with having the prompt type "OLAP Member". So far, it does not look like it. When I have a prompt that has an OLAP cube as a source it seems only selectable hierarchies are displayed. Is there a way to use cascading prompts that display various levels of the hierarchie instead?

Thanks,
metalray
10 REPLIES 10
TSBruce
SAS Employee
Cascading prompts are not currently supported wtih OLAP.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks TSBruce
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Is there any way to provide cascading OLAP prompts? via stored processes or in the information map?
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
They are currently not supported 'out-of-the-box' as mentioned in the thread.

You can develop a "custom" approach by using relational tables as the drivers for dynamic prompts, and a stored process that takes these values and builds a custom OLAP query based on the user's selection.

The relational table(s) can be scheduled to refresh during the cube refresh process so they dont get out-of-sync.

~ Angela
http://sas-bi.blogspot.com
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Angela. Thats what I was looking for. Your suggestions are a real contribution to this board.

But how do I dynamically generate a MDX query based on non OLAP selections from relational based prompts?You mentioned a stored process. I will try that and let you know. My first idea to that solution is to use SAS Access and read the data from a SAS library with views (Access Engine) so I dont have to do a refresh.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Ultimately I want to have those dynamic cascading prompts in a web based user interface. will that be possible with the "custom" approach?
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
"Ultimately I want to have those dynamic cascading prompts in a web based user interface. will that be possible with the "custom" approach? "
Yes, having a STP as a source for a Web Report is possible.

Since I managed to generate some MDX my next question comes up, the security concept for
such an "custom approach". I can implement Member-Level Securty on the OLAP cube but
that will not restrict the selection users can make in the prompts (since they are based on
a relational data source). Does that mean I have to use two seperat security concepts.
The first is the OLAP member-level security and the second some SQL Code on the Oracle database
or in an STP that uses the SASUID to derive a valid set of selectable prompt choices?
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
You are correct. Two different security approaches would be required.
Member Level Security on the OLAP Cube (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/olapug/59574/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003212398.htm)
and Identity Level (or row-level) Security on the relational table used for the prompting.

Might I suggest you look into the Information Map mechanism for row level security. You could utilize this as your source for the dynamic prompt.
http://support.sas.com/kb/31/563.html - to set up the imap
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/engimap/61078/HTML/default/a003050257.htm - to connect to the imap from your STP

Or use the imap structure as an example to build in the security for yourself in the STP.

~ Angela
nash_sas
Fluorite | Level 6

hi Angela,

As a followup to this, I am looking for similar functionality with having dynamic prompts and the cube on the same page. I understand that for dynamic prompts with data driven from the cube, we can go with a custom approach using stored process but I am wondering if we can have the cube on the same page ? Thanks

JustZ
Calcite | Level 5

I was also looking how to build a cascading prompt with OLAP. When I couldn't find the answer I thought of a very simple solution that does the trick for me. I just created a hierarchy of the two dimensions that I wanted to cascade, after that you can create a prompt on this hierarchy without having to customize anything.

Maybe this will work for you too.

Regards,

Just

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation