BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
djfoot
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Community

We have bought the ESRI Bridge capability for this site, but it will not be available to us until at least September. There is a requirement to display measures on maps (with drill down capability) on Web Report Studio, but I can;t see if this is technically possible without the ESRI Bridge configured.

I can create map data from imported shapefiles and create maps using PROC GMAP, but I'm just can;t seem to get this to work within WRS.

Anyone know if this is possible and if so...how?

Thanks,

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nrose
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Dave,

You cannot include maps in a WRS report using the SAS bridge for ESRI. The bridge is a desktop tool, and  is useful if you have ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop) and you want to be able to map SAS datasets in ArcMap, and run stored processes in ArcMap.

The only way to include maps with drill down capability is to install ArcGIS Server. You can then map enable your OLAP cubes by using GEO dimensions and linking it to a map service produced by the ArcGIS Server. There is no way to dynamically enable maps that are linked to Information Maps or other types of data - only OLAP cubes. Further to this limitation, is that the process is rather complicated, and you need to know your way around administering the ESRI server, and SAS Server, as well as knowing how to create map services, and linking them in metadata. Then there is the issue that WRS is only compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.0, and ESRI will be up to 10.2 in July. As I understand, there is no intention to make WRS compatible with more recent versions of ArcGIS. All development efforts for mapping is going to Visual Analytics, so, you are stuck with what is available now.

The only option then is to have static maps, that are produced by stored processes. So, you have to create maps using PROC GMAP, but you need to convert this process into a stored process, and then you can add it to your WRS report. The best way to find out how is to look up how to add stored process to WRS in the WRS user manual

Hope that helps

Nick

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
nrose
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Dave,

You cannot include maps in a WRS report using the SAS bridge for ESRI. The bridge is a desktop tool, and  is useful if you have ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop) and you want to be able to map SAS datasets in ArcMap, and run stored processes in ArcMap.

The only way to include maps with drill down capability is to install ArcGIS Server. You can then map enable your OLAP cubes by using GEO dimensions and linking it to a map service produced by the ArcGIS Server. There is no way to dynamically enable maps that are linked to Information Maps or other types of data - only OLAP cubes. Further to this limitation, is that the process is rather complicated, and you need to know your way around administering the ESRI server, and SAS Server, as well as knowing how to create map services, and linking them in metadata. Then there is the issue that WRS is only compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.0, and ESRI will be up to 10.2 in July. As I understand, there is no intention to make WRS compatible with more recent versions of ArcGIS. All development efforts for mapping is going to Visual Analytics, so, you are stuck with what is available now.

The only option then is to have static maps, that are produced by stored processes. So, you have to create maps using PROC GMAP, but you need to convert this process into a stored process, and then you can add it to your WRS report. The best way to find out how is to look up how to add stored process to WRS in the WRS user manual

Hope that helps

Nick

djfoot
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Nick. I'd come to the same conclusion, but it's great to have someone else confirm this. I've already produced a STP and added it within the Portal. Not as good as the full ESRI bridge functionality, but should appease the end user until I can get the bridge installed and configured.

nrose
Quartz | Level 8

Perhaps you should read my response a bit more carefully - SAS Bridge for ESRI WILL NOT allow any mapping functionality within WRS - it is purely a desktop component.

Regards,

Nick

djfoot
Fluorite | Level 6

Nick,

The ESRI map component has been available within SAS (WRS, OLAP Viewer and EG) since 9.1.3. See http://support.sas.com/rnd/papers/sgf07/sgf2007-map.pdf for examples of functionality.

nrose
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, but this is not the same as the SAS Bridge for ESRI , and you need ArcGIS Server 10.0 or lower for the ESRI map component to work. It is wrong to refer to it as the ESRI Bridge.

Assuming that you are referring to the installation and configuration of ArcGIS Server 10.0 (or lower), it is just a misunderstanding in terminology.

Regards,

Nick

djfoot
Fluorite | Level 6

Therefore, my apologies for not explicitly stating that I was referring to the SAS ESRI Bridge, and not the ESRI bridge.

nrose
Quartz | Level 8

LOL

At the risk of going around in circles, whether you call it the SAS ESRI Bridge, or ESRI bridge is not the point - the 'Bridge' is a desktop component that links ArcGIS Desktop with SAS. The ESRI Map component that you are interested in and allows the interactive visualisation of maps based on OLAP cubes in WRS, SAS EG and OLAP viewer need ArcGIS Server 10.0, and there is no 'Bridge' product. Thus, the 'Bridge' and ESRI Map Components are two very different technologies. Trust me, I have been using these two products for years.

Anyway, good luck!

Nick

djfoot
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Nick. Sounds like I'll need it! I've red flagged this as the client are in the process of upgrading ArcGIS to v10.1. If you believe the SAS ESRI Bridge isn't compatible with anything higher than 10.0, then we have a problem on our hands and may mean developing a lot more than just a temporary solution. Unfortunately, a search on the SAS website doesn't shine any light on this....

nrose
Quartz | Level 8

See SAS 9.3 Support for Additional Software Products for more information.

If you have purchased a product called 'SAS Bridge for ESRI', then this will NOT help in any way in producing content for WRS and EG. Enough said on my part - you should follow this up with SAS to get some advice on mapping and WRS.

Nick

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation