BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ern_23
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Community,

We have a few special letters in Turkish such as 'ü', 'ö' , 'ç'  which are not exists in most of other languages. This may be problematic sometimes as I have to access data through SAS Viya from sources like Oracle or MsSQL.

So I when I try to load a table including text (words consist of special Turkish characters) on SAS Viya, such words are presented unproperly in the table (i.e günaydın. shown as g�nayd�n). This causes  a serious problem cause when the loading process is done, any text unproperly represented in table is trimmed at the end. (i.e what left from g�nayd�n) is only  g)

I have access to same table on SAS Enterprise Guide and I do not have such problem. Does any of you know how can I fix the problem on SAS Viya?

Thanks for your interest in advance.

Eren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

According to this link Turkish has a unique encoding in SAS of TURKISH or WTURKISH if your SAS sessions run on Windows.

As @jimbarbour advises, check your current ENCODING setting. That is likely to explain why you are having this problem.

Typically changing your SAS session encoding is the easiest way to resolve such problems. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Do you know what your current Viya encoding is?  Can you run the following and post the results?

PROC OPTIONS OPTION=ENCODING;
RUN;

PROC OPTIONS OPTION=LOCALE;
RUN;

This should give us some idea of what's going on.  

You may have to talk to your SAS Viya administrator.  They may need to set up a Unicode Viya environment.  If you already have a Unicode environment, then this may be a transcoding issue, and we may want to use some kind of function to handle the issue.

Jim

ern_23
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot for your contribution and solution suggestion!

Eren
SASKiwi
PROC Star

According to this link Turkish has a unique encoding in SAS of TURKISH or WTURKISH if your SAS sessions run on Windows.

As @jimbarbour advises, check your current ENCODING setting. That is likely to explain why you are having this problem.

Typically changing your SAS session encoding is the easiest way to resolve such problems. 

ern_23
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot for your contribution and solution suggestion!

Eren

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation