BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASGeek
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

My company is going to transition from SAS EG to SAS Viya in the next year and my manager was thinking it's a lift & shift process. I know it won't be THAT easy but not bad.

That said, my manager INSISTS on a certain layout of code for each program.

1. One process for Intros (separate programs for librnames, one for macro variables, etc),
  2. One process for extractions (one or more programs just for the extractions),
  3. One process for transformations (one program for one transformation purpose, etc), and a final process for loading/reports (appropriate programs there).

You get the idea.

Will the same structure be available in Viya or will we have to adopt a different "mentality"?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm assuming you will be moving to SAS Viya 4 where EG is no longer supported. You will need to switch to SAS Studio as your development interface and all EG projects will have to be converted to SAS Studio processes. These can be configured any way you like so I don't see any problem with maintaining your current structure.

Yes, I'm hearing the same "lift and shift no problem" messages about moving from SAS 9.4 to Viya. However I've been around long enough to know it usually isn't that simple and the devil is in the detail. For example Viya 4 is only available on Linux and we are currently on Windows so all SAS artifacts (datasets, catalogs etc) need to be converted to the new OS's format. 

DWilson
Pyrite | Level 9

When you say SAS Studio is required with SAS Viya, does that mean that there is no command-line way to submit a SAS program to Viya? (after, say, using SSH to log into a Viya server of some sort?)

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you mean, submit a SAS batch job then that capability is available in SAS Studio. Also there is the ability to schedule batch jobs in Viya although I'm not familiar with the details of that. Viya 4 sits inside of Kubernetes containers so indeed you can't log into your remote SAS app server and interact directly with SAS anymore. 

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
You can use the sas-viya CLI to submit a batch job for execution.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-Run-SAS-Programs-in-Batch-in-the-New-S...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation