BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SpencerK
Fluorite | Level 6

My deployment of SAS Viya via the Azure Marketplace is failing due to what appears to be a resource limitation that I have been unable to resolve—I need some help 🙂

The errors I am receiving during deployment involve a series of vitualMachineScaleSets, which are said to be not available in the region East US 2. They look like this:

The requested size for resource '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-cas-23465321-vmss' is currently not available in location 'eastus2' zones '1'

This error recurs for the following scale sets 

• aks-cas-23465321-vmss
  • aks-compute-23465321-vmss
  • aks-stateful-23465321-vmss
  • aks-stateless-23465321-vmss
  • aks-system-23465321-vmss

(full message here:)

{
    "status": "Failed",
    "error": {
        "code": "ApplicationDeploymentFailed",
        "message": "The operation to create application failed. Please check operations of deployment 'viyaeast2' under resource group '/subscriptions/13eafbee-9f84-4f58-a551-a3c747360d65/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406'. Error message: 'At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-deployment-operations for usage details.'",
        "details": [
            {
                "code": "BadRequest",
                "message": "{\r\n  \"error\": {\r\n    \"code\": \"InvalidTemplateDeployment\",\r\n    \"message\": \"The template deployment 'viyaeast2-aks' is not valid according to the validation procedure. The tracking id is '517411a2-dcb7-44ee-879b-b55a99133ecc'. See inner errors for details.\",\r\n    \"details\": [\r\n      {\r\n        \"code\": \"PreconditionFailed\",\r\n        \"message\": \"Provisioning of resource(s) for container service initial-deployment-aks in resource group mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406 failed. Message: Provisioning of resource(s) for container service initial-deployment-aks in resource group mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406 failed. Message: Multiple error occurred: BadRequest,BadRequest,BadRequest,BadRequest,BadRequest. Please see details.. Details: [{\\\"code\\\":\\\"\\\",\\\"message\\\":\\\"The template deployment failed with error: 'The resource with id: '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-cas-23465321-vmss' failed validation with message: 'The requested size for resource '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-cas-23465321-vmss' is currently not available in location 'eastus2' zones '1' for subscription '****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****'. Please try another size or deploy to a different location or zones. See https://aka.ms/azureskunotavailable for details.'.'.\\\"},{\\\"code\\\":\\\"\\\",\\\"message\\\":\\\"The template deployment failed with error: 'The resource with id: '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-compute-23465321-vmss' failed validation with message: 'The requested size for resource '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-compute-23465321-vmss' is currently not available in location 'eastus2' zones '1' for subscription '****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****'. Please try another size or deploy to a different location or zones. See https://aka.ms/azureskunotavailable for details.'.'.\\\"},{\\\"code\\\":\\\"\\\",\\\"message\\\":\\\"The template deployment failed with error: 'The resource with id: '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-stateful-23465321-vmss' failed validation with message: 'The requested size for resource '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-stateful-23465321-vmss' is currently not available in location 'eastus2' zones '1' for subscription '****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****'. Please try another size or deploy to a different location or zones. See https://aka.ms/azureskunotavailable for details.'.'.\\\"},{\\\"code\\\":\\\"\\\",\\\"message\\\":\\\"The template deployment failed with error: 'The resource with id: '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-stateless-23465321-vmss' failed validation with message: 'The requested size for resource '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-stateless-23465321-vmss' is currently not available in location 'eastus2' zones '1' for subscription '****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****'. Please try another size or deploy to a different location or zones. See https://aka.ms/azureskunotavailable for details.'.'.\\\"},{\\\"code\\\":\\\"\\\",\\\"message\\\":\\\"The template deployment failed with error: 'The resource with id: '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-system-23465321-vmss' failed validation with message: 'The requested size for resource '/subscriptions/****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****/resourceGroups/mrg-sas-viya-on-azure-20230417212406/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/aks-system-23465321-vmss' is currently not available in location 'eastus2' zones '1' for subscription '****REDACTED_SUBSCRIPTION_ID****'. Please try another size or deploy to a different location or zones. See https://aka.ms/azureskunotavailable for details.'.'.\\\"}]. Details: \"\r\n      }\r\n    ]\r\n  }\r\n}"
            }
        ]
    }
}

Here's what's confusing about this

The East US 2 region has the necessary resources

• All of those VM types are available in East US 2:
    • Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.52.32 PM.png
    • Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.52.53 PM.png
    • Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.53.15 PM.png

My quotas in the East US 2 region are sufficient

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.55.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.56.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.56.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 10.47.43 PM.png

So, the question is, what else could it be? Why would Azure complain that the requested resource sizes are not available, when it appears that the region, and moreover, my quotas, are sufficient? Any thoughts for troubleshooting?

Thanks for the help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SpencerK
Fluorite | Level 6

In my case, it turned out there was insufficient capacity in "Zone 1" of the regions that I was trying to deploy to in order to accommodate the Virtual Machine Scale Sets. After getting connected with Azure support they added enough capacity so that I could deploy. 

I probably could have diagnosed this problem quicker if the Azure Marketplace template included the ability to choose the zone (the same way the terraform module does). Currently it only allows you to select the region.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
akash1234007
SAS Employee

If I am interpreting the error message correctly then it should mean, the particular resource provider is not available in eastus2, zone1 for your subscription.

you can rule it out by checking the output of "az provider list" it is showing as registered then does the json have the region and zone in question listed. (if deployment is coming from Azure Marketplace, probably it should be taken care but nonetheless good to rule out)

In my case for VMSS I can see zones by regions for the VMSS resources type as below

akash1234007_0-1681841864166.png

SpencerK
Fluorite | Level 6

"az provider list" indicates that virtualMachineScaleSets are available in the region and zone that the template was attempting to deploy in (East US 2, Zone 1).

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 11.32.54 PM.png 

maperi
SAS Employee

Hi Spencer,

Can you also please check your Subscription > Overview, and tell us your values for "My Role" and "Offer".   Also, please check the Usage + Quotas again, but select "Storage" from the drop down and check to make sure you have enough quota for Storage Accounts in East US 2.

SpencerK
Fluorite | Level 6

"My role" for the subscription is "Owner". Unfortunately I don't see any field called "Offer". Any idea why I might not have that visible?

My quotas for Storage Accounts in East US 2 are at what appears to be the default of 250, and my usage is only 3 of these.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 11.38.55 PM.png

maperi
SAS Employee

For subscription related questions, you'll want to contact Microsoft.  Was mainly just confirming you weren't using a Free Trial subscription.  

Have you tried using different region such as US East?

SpencerK
Fluorite | Level 6
I've tried deploying in West US 3, same behavior.
maperi
SAS Employee
There may be a policy set on your subscription that is preventing you from creating the resources required. For example, your organization may not allow creating an AKS cluster, regardless of permissions.  As a test, you could try to manually create an AKS cluster and / or a Virtual Machine Scale Set. If you are still having trouble, you may want to contact your IT organization.

SpencerK
Fluorite | Level 6

In my case, it turned out there was insufficient capacity in "Zone 1" of the regions that I was trying to deploy to in order to accommodate the Virtual Machine Scale Sets. After getting connected with Azure support they added enough capacity so that I could deploy. 

I probably could have diagnosed this problem quicker if the Azure Marketplace template included the ability to choose the zone (the same way the terraform module does). Currently it only allows you to select the region.

mazam
SAS Employee

@SpencerK We are glad to hear you were able to deploy with the added capacity provided by Azure support. We have shared your feedback with the SAS Viya on Microsoft Azure development team. Thank you for your patience! Let us know if we can be of further assistance.