BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DQM
Calcite | Level 5 DQM
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I encountered a “Timeout” error during the SAS Viya Azure deployment, despite passing all pre-flight checks (e.g., vCPUs, necessary features/service providers). The deployment halted after 2 hours, and the same error occurred upon a second attempt. I have reviewed SAS help documents, Azure deployment troubleshooting documentations, and similar posts on this forum but have not found a viable solution from my end.

The deployment names and Correlation IDs from two deployments are provided below. Please let me know if my subscription ID and/or resource group names are also needed for troubleshooting. 

Please advise on how to resolve this Timeout error during the Azure deployment.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

First failed attempt: 

Deployment name: sas-institute-560503.sas-viya-on-azure-20240923215714
Correlation ID: 1dd34429-8230-4c8d-9887-1ec05a0d7d6e

Second failed attempt:
Deployment name: sas-institute-560503.sas-viya-on-azure-20240924062515

Correlation ID: 288f3923-1d1a-4b65-a119-ee8c46ae6ee8

Usage and quotas: (after the second attempt) (all resources created by the first attempt were deleted before the second attempt)

DQM_0-1727201667318.png

{
  "code": "DeploymentFailed",
  "target": "/subscriptions/(redacted subscription id)/resourceGroups/(redacted resource group name)/providers/Microsoft.Resources/deployments/sas-institute-560503.sas-viya-on-azure-20240924062515",
  "message": "At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-deployment-operations for usage details.",
  "details": [
    {
      "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure",
      "target": "/subscriptions/(redacted subscription id)/resourceGroups/(redacted resource group name)/providers/Microsoft.Solutions/applications/abbotthf1",
      "message": "The resource provision operation did not complete within the allowed timeout period."
    }
  ]
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
priyhat_sas
SAS Employee

Please try the deploying again with the latest 2024.08 release, we have fixed the issue and able to deploy successfully.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
slg
Obsidian | Level 7 slg
Obsidian | Level 7

This could result from a number of issues... First check if the deployment version is still in effect or is supported. Note that stable cadences have short shelf life as compared to lts but even ltss could go out of support. The current stable version is 2024.06. Let me know if you need further troubleshooting.

DQM
Calcite | Level 5 DQM
Calcite | Level 5

Hi sgl,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the info of the managed application created after the second attempt. It seems it was the "sas-viya-on-azure" version "24.08.01" published by "sas-institute-560503" on the Microsoft Azure Marketplace.

{
    "id": "/subscriptions/(redacted subscription id)/resourceGroups/(redacted resource group name)/providers/Microsoft.Solutions/applications/(redacted application name)",
    "name": "(redacted application name)",
    "type": "Microsoft.Solutions/applications",
    "kind": "MarketPlace",
    "location": "eastus",
    "plan": {
        "name": "sas-viya-on-azure",
        "product": "sas-viya-on-azure",
        "publisher": "sas-institute-560503",
        "version": "24.08.01"
    },

slg
Obsidian | Level 7 slg
Obsidian | Level 7

Your best bet for solving that is contacting SAS tech support (ServiceNow)

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here's the link to the support FAQ for Viya on Azure Marketplace: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Viya-on-Microsoft-Azure/How-to-get-support-for-SAS-Viya-on-the-Mi...

If you read the terms and conditions, standard Tech Support is not available, so I suggest you persevere with posts on this forum. 

cj_blake
SAS Employee

Hi everyone, we're aware of these deployment failures and are seeing them internally too. We are investigating the problem and are looking into it. I will keep this thread updated when we have more news.

priyhat_sas
SAS Employee

Please try the deploying again with the latest 2024.08 release, we have fixed the issue and able to deploy successfully.

DQM
Calcite | Level 5 DQM
Calcite | Level 5
deploying now. will update the post when finished.
DQM
Calcite | Level 5 DQM
Calcite | Level 5

deployed (in 53 minutes 44 seconds) and logged in as administrator.

Thank you very much!

Version: Stable 2024.08

Release: 20240925.1727250373280

{
    "name": "sas-viya-on-azure",
    "product": "sas-viya-on-azure",
    "publisher": "sas-institute-560503",
    "version": "24.08.01"
}

DQM_0-1727313678155.png

SASpirations
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, this hasn't solved the issue for me.

I've tried a fresh deployment of SAS Viya (Pay-As-You-Go) on Azure after the proposed fix and am still getting a timeout error.

Correlation ID: 4c1c6eb9-f028-4712-9ad0-b062d5a40474

{
  "code""ResourceDeploymentFailure",
  "target""/subscriptions/<redacted>/resourceGroups/<redacted>/providers/Microsoft.Solutions/applications/SasViyaACManaged",
  "message""The resource provision operation did not complete within the allowed timeout period."
}

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Would it matter what region I'm deploying in?
DQM
Calcite | Level 5 DQM
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

Following the update to version 24.08.01 (Release: 20240925.1727250373280), I successfully deployed SAS Viya without selecting IP ranges.

However, I encountered the same timeout error when attempting to deploy SAS Viya with authorized IP ranges.

Initial attempt:

Deployment name: sas-institute-560503.sas-viya-on-azure-20240925224355

correlation ID: 21892ab1-f1da-45a3-9510-73b32080147a

Redeployment attempt:

Deployment name: Microsoft.Template-20240926041717

correlation ID: 142bd73d-cbdc-4671-b755-ceae4a48478d

{
  "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure",
  "target": "/subscriptions/(redacted subscription ID)/(redacted resource group name)/providers/Microsoft.Solutions/applications/(redacted application prefix)",
  "message": "The resource provision operation did not complete within the allowed timeout period."
}
DQM
Calcite | Level 5 DQM
Calcite | Level 5

Hi priyhat_sas
Thank you for fixing the deployment issues.

I successfully redeployed SAS Viya (Version: Stable 2024.08 Release: 20240925.1727250373280 Site name: SAS INSTITUTE-SAS VIYA ON MS AZURE GOLDEN IMAGE 2 Site number: 70333782) on Azure without authorized IP addresses, using the application prefix “my-viya.” However, the deployment was completed just 54 seconds before the 2-hour limit.

Compared to the original deployment time of 53 minutes and 44 seconds, the redeployment time doubled for some reason. I hope future deployments and redeployments can be more efficient and cost-effective, considering the Azure infrastructure cost is approximately $20 per hour during deployment.

DQM_0-1727445055656.png